Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Turkish style

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Kiraze, I think we found our Turkish expert! You're making a lot of sense to me.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiraze View Post
    and there was too much skirt swirling, which in fact really is not very widely used in Turkish Rom dances (and traditional Rom women in fact do not show their legs) and I would consider that more influenced by Flamenco or Russian/Hungarian dances
    This is exactly what Serkan also said about the skirt swirling

It is somehow confusing that talking about Turkish style belly dance it mostly is about karsilama rhythm - it is also understandable as that is very easy to recognize and it is ditinctive to Turkey (and Greece) and cannot be found in Arab world... And well, I seem to repeat myself, karsilama dance is folk dance (dance by pairs, face to face where the name also comes) that does not have much anything to do either with gypsy dances or with belly dance
    In Greece Karsilama is also folk dance, danced by pairs face to face. You'll never see a belly dancer in a bouzoukia club performing on Karsilama music. But unfortunately, there are not many people any more, who can dance Karsilama in Greece, the dance is slowly disappearing, although the music is still very alive. But I can dance it, I learned it from my Pontios Grandfather

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for assuming me an expert, Yasmine! In fact I would consider myself more as a student and keen observer of all the Turkish music and dances (because of obsession for especially folk dance shows on Turkish TV and something interesting to do while travelling all around the Turkey - and it is especially fun to have wild Turkish "grandma" who always likes to take me to see when men are dancing at parties which normally is absolutely no-no! at the conservative countryside ) but my own dancing skill is unfortunately still very limited both with folk dances, Roman havasi and Oryantal and I am hoping to learn more.

I love the fact that in the US the "old-style" Turkish belly dance has been kept so well alive by dancers like Artemis (besides her DVD:s her manuscripts are fantastic), Eva Cernik, Aunt Rocky (her speciality is mostly elsewhere but as always she is a treasure of facts and stories) and many others (I have learned some nice ideas from e.g. Shakira of Ohio)

I really hope that Turkish style(s) will gain more interest in Europe (and also Asia, in Japan I think that there is already quite good basis because of Mishaal). And even in Turkey there seems to be new interest towards both Oryantal and Roman Havasi because of TV shows (Oryantal Star and it seems that also Didem has included more "Turkish style" dances to her repertory at Ibo Show) and folk dances have always been kept strongly alive and big staged modernized shows like Fire of Anatolia are a good way of showing people outside that also Turkish dances can be *hip*

Post Thanks / Like

It'a a small world Kiraze! Shakira of Columbus has been instrumental in my education too, esp about Turkish style.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yasmine Bint Al Nubia View Post
    It'a a small world Kiraze! Shakira of Columbus has been instrumental in my education too, esp about Turkish style.
    Yasmine
    Shakira is wonderful: she has so much knowledge and I love also her dramatic dancing (especially sword)!

If you see her tell her best wishes from me (she knows me as Virpi from Turku )

Post Thanks / Like

Default Turkish

Dear Kiraze and Yasmine,
    I really like Shakira a lot, too. She and I once taught at a seminar together and shared a room. It was a pleasure!! I hiope we get to work together again some time.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Default modern dancers

Dear Group,

I'm hopelessly trying to find some biographical data on modern turkish belly dancers in the internet, but all in vain. Well, I managed to find out something about Asena and Tanyeli, but I can't find anything on Didem or Elcin. Maybe somebody could help me out if you read something in paper magazines or if you understand turkish and kon something. I'm interested in some basic facts, like how old are they, where they were born, how they came into dancing and maybe some other little facts of their bios. And probably you could recommend me some interesting young and modern dancers apart from the mentioned?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Turksh, etc.

Dear Kiraze,
    I think Sema Yildiz is wonderful and she is perhaps my favorite of the Turkish dancers. In the States, my very favorite is Jennet who teaches both Turkish Rom and Oriental Tanzi. She is currently living in Turkey. She is niot very well known yet, but she is totally hot and a great teacher as well!
    Regards,
    A'isha

Artemis for sure is one of the best (or THE best) Turkish style instructors in the World and I am also looking forward on her DVD (I love also her "Artemis dances" videos) - but how about Sema Yildiz? Does anyone have experience studying with her? She is coming here to Singapore in August and now I am struggling whether to choose her workshops or workshops by some Egyptian masters also heading this way...

(BTW I changed my user name from old forum as not to confuse me with the Afsana magazine I am editing)

Post Thanks / Like

Turkish Gypsy Dance and Karshilama (Greeting)

I have read your comments, and as a Turkish dancer and an instructor of Gypsy Dance, I would like to share my views.
    Karshilama (Greeting): It is danced at least by two people or as a group. The cities it’s mainly danced at are Edirne, Tekirdag, Canakkale, Bilecik, Bolu and Giresun. In Thrace (Trakya) region it is danced with a napkin and in Marmara Region it is danced with a spoon. The reson for its mixing with gypsy dance, is that both dances are 9 beat dances.
    Turkish Roman Dance: Being a 9/8 rhythm single person dance it is a reflection of an original lifestyle. Prior to teaching this dance, it is essential to get to know Turkish Romans and their life philosphy. As Roman music you are mentioning rampi rampi but this is a very old example. Nowadays, no one dances with this music. There are alot of contemporary gypsy music.
    There people around giving gypsy dance lessons after taking 2-3 lessons themselves. Because of such people turkish gypsy dance is not thought properly. I hope those true lovers of dance are more selective from now on

Best regards, Ahmet OGREN

www.turkishgypsydance.com

Post Thanks / Like

Gypsy Ahmet, thanks for your information and I really found your website to be quite informative!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast