Turkish style

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michelle

I guess this is the place to post this....:eek:

I have a question: who has seen Artemis' new video through IAMED? I know she is well respected here in the US.... if you've seen it, what do you think? I would like to learn Turkish (authentic Turkish really) but I don't know of any teachers in my area who teach it....

Aaeesha

I feel your pain. I haven't seen the video yet, but we don't have any Turkish style dancers in my area either. Frustrating. Artemis is wonderful though. I'm anxious to read some reviews.

Maria_Aya

Yes Artemis is a treasure.
The people that live near her are very lucky!!!
I live in Greece just a hop to Turkey and even thinking to go to States to have lessons with Artemis !!!

Maria Aya:)

Michelle

If anyone knows of any reviews posted, even if you yourself have not seen the video, please let me know. Maria, I have always heard that she is amazing and probably the best (or one of- no offense to anybody!) Turkish style dancer in the US. (Maybe I should consider a road trip!) I think her video is probably excellent but I want to be sure before I buy it.... you know how it is, sometimes the teacher might be great but it doesn't always come across in the video due to editing, etc...

Kiraze

Artemis for sure is one of the best (or THE best) Turkish style instructors in the World and I am also looking forward on her DVD (I love also her "Artemis dances" videos) - but how about Sema Yildiz? Does anyone have experience studying with her? She is coming here to Singapore in August and now I am struggling whether to choose her workshops or workshops by some Egyptian masters also heading this way...

(BTW I changed my user name from old forum as not to confuse me with the Afsana magazine I am editing)

Michelle

Thank you, Aeesha, that is helpful. I've decided that I'm going to go ahead and fork out the cash for this DVD. It sounds like it will be a good introduction to Turkish style. :)

Aaeesha

I bought it today. I *despise* waiting for something to ship. So impatient, but I think this is going to be worth the wait. Cheers:)

Michelle

I know the feeling... I get so impatient, like a kid really. I haven't bought it yet because I am waiting for payday ;) but if you get it before I do, please let me know what you think.

samsied

Sorry to hijak the thread, but it does relate to Turkish dance. If you are looking for a performance dvd of dancers from Turkey, please read my post in "Other Dance" for a detailed description of my ongoing experiences with a vender of Turkish dvds on ebay. (The vender is based in the UK). The thread is titled "Warning About Grand Bazaar of Turkey on ebay.

Aisha Azar

Turkish etc.

Dear Group,
My favorite Turkish style dancer is Jennet, who is currently in turkey and will be returning to the States for a short time in order to gather up some of her stuff and go and live there for a year or so. she dances Istanbul rom and turkish belly dance. Right now she is doing some research in a little place in the south of Turkey, "only accessible by boat". She is working there making Turkish coffee and serving people in a little coffee house. She LOVES it as it exposes her to the people of the region in a way that she would not otherwise be able to experience. If ever you get a chance to study with her, do it IMMEDIATELY!!!!
Regards,
A'isha

chryssanthi sahar

Dear Kiraze.

Selma Yildiz was here in Germany last October during the "Orienta" Festival in Frankfurt. She performed and also gave workshops. I saw her performance and liked it, because it was a really good pure Turkish style, but I didn't hear such good things about her workshop. A student of mine participated her workshop and was very disappointed. Selma doesn't seem to explain well and her lesson seems to have no concept. So I don't know if it would be worth it to visit her workshop. Maybe it's better to visit the workshop of the Egyptian teacher.

Kiraze

Sema Yildiz

Thanks Cryssanthi, I heard some positive feedback about Sema from last AWS but also that her teaching belongs to category "follow the bouncing butt" so it depends how much one can get out of that kind of classes... well, I am willing to try if her dancing represents pure Turkish style as my own Turkish style needs some polishing (too much Egyptian influences)... it is kind of funny that in Europe there really is not many Turkish style dancers (only one I can recall is Swedish Maria Hansson) even though there are even many dancers with Turkish origin! Even great dancers like Fatima Serin and Sibel Nefa represent more Egyptian or western cabaret style :confused:

chryssanthi sahar

Sibel Nefa is not of Turkish origin. She is German. I know, because I know her personally. She dances a mixed Egyptian/American cabaret style.
Fatima Serin is of Turkish origin, but she dances Egyptian Raqs Sharqi. Why do you wonder about the fact, that there are more dancers dancing Egyptian than ones that dance Turkish? Egyptian is more artistic than Turkish, it has lot more movements and more difficult system and the Arabian belly dance music is more complex and interesting than the Turkish one. A short Turkish performance might be thrilling, but I could never watch Turkish style belly dancing for hours. Opposite to this, I cannot get enough of Egyptian style belly dance. You can compare Turkish style to Pop music and Egyptian style to Classical music. Of course at the end, it is a matter of taste:)

Kiraze

...it must be with the names: I am not really used to that dancers do not use their real names so I thought Sibel Nefa is her real name and that name sounds to me quite typical Turkish:confused:

Anyway i really do not wonder the fact that there are more Egyptian style dancers but I wonder why most of the dancers of Turkish origin do not have almost any influences of their own culture left in their dancing... and e.g. Fatima´s dancing does not look to me Egyptian either... it looks hmmm how to say it...*German*:D

But I do not agree that arabic music were more complex or interesting than Turkish: in Turkish music you can have rhythms and instruments that are unique and really complex and really hard to interpret correctly... but I agree that it is matter of tastes: I love Arabic classical and folk music as well as Turkish arabesk and folk music but I hate Arabic pop music and Turkish pop music if for me only for listening and I hate to watch dancing with Tarkan etc :rolleyes:

chryssanthi sahar

...But I do not agree that arabic music were more complex or interesting than Turkish: in Turkish music you can have rhythms and instruments that are unique and really complex and really hard to interpret correctly...

Well I was not talking about Turkish music in general. Sure there is a lot of very interesting and complex Turkish music, especially from the Ottoman time. I was talking only about traditional Turkish belly dance music. I find it lot more monotone than the Arabian belly dance music. The same is true for the Greek belly dance music (Tsifteteli). Of course I love to dance on Tsifteteli music, because I am Greek, but I don't wonder, if non Greeks are not crazy about dancing with this music:p
By the way, I like also modern Arabian and Turkish music, but only for in between. I hate it, when a dancer performs only with this music. This is a sign, that she doesn't have high dancing skills.
As about Fatima Serin, you are right: she has kind of Egyptian-German mixed style with a touch of Turkish;) She can dance quite well though.

Aisha Azar

Oriental Tanza

Dear Group,
I have studied Egyptian belly dance for some 32 years now, and I would be willing to say that I have a strong level of expertise in both the movement and essence of this style of belly dance.
I have had some study in Turkish belly dance and recently also in Rom, Istanbul style. I feel that Turkish belly dance, while not as subtle for the most part as Egyptian, is every bit as complex in musical, cultural and technical context. This is judging from what I have learned so far. I fully admit that this style is not my forte` and that I am in reality just beginning to plumb the depths of Turkish dance, but I would say that I hope that I do not ever underestimate its complexities.
Regards,
A'isha

Status
Not open for further replies.