Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What everyone else said. (and I love "monoinstructorous" BTW)

I don't get it how adults teaching adults get away with this sort of nonsense. Of course no decent teacher wants their students teaching when they aren't ready, but why some people think the student-teacher relationship involves some sort of High Priestess/ acolyte element is beyond me.

Perhaps she just said the "don't ever teach" thing as some sort of jokey compliment to you??? (clutching at straws here)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a teacher and I wrote this:

To My Belly Dance Students, Regarding "Loyalty" to Your Teacher

Now one thing I think we need to consider as beginning teachers is this:

What am I bringing to the community that isn't already there?

This really doesn't apply in the OP's case, since she's just being asked to sub, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a newbie teacher to open up shop and try to sell the exact same product as the more experienced teacher. All you will end up doing is competing for students, and cutting the available pool of community money for workshops and shows.

But that's not really the situation here, so I won't go into it.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't that partly what teaching is all about? Did she ever hear of free enterprise? And it sounds like you are trying to be a "gentleman" about it too. Her requests are unreasonable and petty.

Post Thanks / Like

Total agreement with everyone else here. I think "teacher A" has issues. In general, my advice when you hear something like this is to RUN.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone too...she shouldn't have asked you to "never teach."

I would definitely tell her, since you did promise and you are breaking that promise, but like everyone said, it wasn't a reasonable thing to ask of you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    Perfectly said.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your wonderful replies!

Actually, in reply to da Sage, Mosaic and Darshiva's input; I had already once told her I had been asked to sub and she said "that's teaching and you know my take on that* in a morbid tone, lol. I did try to argue the definition but I couldn't win; her's are too broad...she even "disapproved" fusion when I pushed the subject.

And yes, Gisela, starting too EARLY would be bad! I hadn't pushed the subject in the past because maybe it wasn't my time, but the fact that it keeps coming back to me is making me reconsider...

Aww goddessyasaman that's so nice of you to mentor your student like that! Lucky her.

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    Perhaps she just said the "don't ever teach" thing as some sort of jokey compliment to you??? (clutching at straws here)
    LOL!!! I sure wish that was the case!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLoba View Post
    I would definitely tell her, since you did promise and you are breaking that promise, but like everyone said, it wasn't a reasonable thing to ask of you.
    Yes, I think that is where my guilt is rooted in! If I do it I need to just be honest and open about it... and watch her lay an egg right after I tell her!

Aziyade, your post is beautiful! That's so fair and reasonable. To truly feel that way is really admirable. I really wish more teachers like mine could read that to help them lose all that tension... I think it would be liberating!

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds to me like all she's doing is holding you back. That situation is not ever going to improve - it's just going to get more & more toxic until either you leave or are thrown out. I'd probably walk away now before it gets worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shaki_fan View Post
    i had already once told her i had been asked to sub and she said "that's teaching and you know my take on that* in a morbid tone, lol.
    eww

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast