Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

I know! I didn't realize the sludge was THAT toxic until now... honestly, most of it has been great; social lunches, private lessons, valuable feedback, dancing at her Haflas... It's a shame there's such a dark side!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    That situation is not ever going to improve - it's just going to get more & more toxic until either you leave or are thrown out.
    I actually was thrown out. Take it from me, leave now and don't look back. This teacher will forever hold you back. I was held back for seven years by my original teacher. No good came of it but hard feelings and being milked to death for my talent, as her showcase student, and my money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shaki_fan View Post
    I had already once told her I had been asked to sub and she said "that's teaching and you know my take on that* in a morbid tone, lol.
    Run, Shaki! Run!

The others are right, the future won't be better if it continues like this.

I know too well a very sad story between two dancers where one started out as the other's student*, but I think you've got clear enough answers and stories from the other dancers here.

*) Thankfully I'm not one of them, but I've heard more of the case than I would ever want to..
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shaki_fan View Post
    I know! I didn't realize the sludge was THAT toxic until now... honestly, most of it has been great; social lunches, private lessons, valuable feedback, dancing at her Haflas... It's a shame there's such a dark side!
    I'm sure she's not this horrid person... she's probably your average person who is nice most of the time but can also be very selfish... unfortunately many people are like this.

Post Thanks / Like

This is only my opinion but I think, in all honestly, your old teacher is being really selfish. You have every right to teach if you want to. I understand your loyalty and it is honourable what you are doing, I would do the same. But there comes a point when you just have to do what you want and realise what the person is doing. If you want to teach, do it. As a sub or otherwise. She shouldn't be so afraid of her students surpassing her in any aspect, it sounds as if she likes being the most advanced person in the club and will "disown" anyone or challenges her so people will be held back by her and she keeps a certain type of control over them. She should not ask you or anyone else to do something like this. This is wrong, its not you that would be doing something wrong by teaching, in fact your doing everything right by feeling how you do and putting yourself in this dilema! Good luck!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123