Is this the true history of belly dancing?

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I would just like to take this time to ask Kashmir if she would just write a book on this subject!!! Collecting and printing all these posts is getting to be a little unwieldy.

;)

Kashmir

I would just like to take this time to ask Kashmir if she would just write a book on this subject!!! Collecting and printing all these posts is getting to be a little unwieldy.

;)
I started - but got distracted by the earthquakes. Sounds like something to get into over winter :lol:

Tarik Sultan

So are we looking at the possibility of an increase on private performances then? I imagine it won't pay as well but then any pay is better then none right now.

But no, what little I've read on the subject said that bans on dancing never lasted. They just went underground and inside instead.

I do wonder if it could be the death toll to the innovation coming from there though.

PS. Tarik sent you a PM. Since no one else is actually involved in the topic and it is getting well off topic I figured we could exposit to our hearts content elsewhere. ;)

I don't know if we can make predictions. In the old days people had their weddings and parties at home. Now things are done in wedding halls and night clubs. The nightclubs would most likely fold. Weddings in halls... very easy to monitor, so I would guess not. I think they might have the guys dancing at the weddings, but to what extent they'd allow female performers. Who knows. I think oriental dancers would be out, but would that also apply to theater dancers?

I think the Egyptians will continue to teach on the international seminar circuit, but hey, who knows. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I saw your pm, but I'm really under the gun to get some things done today. If I have time I'll respond late tonight or tomorrow. But if you don't hear from me till the weekend, I'm not subbing you. Just crazy busy.

Ariadne

No problem, I'm in no rush. I'm still sick too. bleh

Yeah wait and see is a good tactic for any political situation. I use it all the time here in the US. Some politician says they're going to do X. Well wait and see and then if they don't even try, pfft, like I'll believe them again. Actions speak so much louder then words.