Thread: Let's dance!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Let's dance!

Hello! I'm 26, from the most southern part of the Netherlands, and I have been following the posts here for a while so I have decided to join the club. I have only been bellydancing since last september but it's so much fun to do! Music and dancing are the things that lift me up and I really feel a lot better when I have danced. I have been treated for depression through talking and meds, but honestly, there is nothing for me that works better than this. When I feel down I just put the music on and dance even though I absolutely didn't feel like it. I just know that I will feel beter afterwards. I am actually quite a shy person and this is for me, the way to express myself. I am a different person when I dance.
    I am not following classes irl due to irregular working hours, I have a bunch of dvd's and I spend a lot of time on youtube. I use all kinds of music to dance to. I don't have a preferrence for a certain style yet, I like the wild playflul Turkish bellydance for instance, but the baladi like Ranya Renee does is also amazing. I try to learn Arabic as well, but it's so damn hard, I get stuck at the pronunciation of the alphabet all the time. I have still so much to learn about styles, artists, music and so on, and I think this is just the place for that!

Greetings,

buikdanseres.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome fellow Dancing sister, YaY I'm 26 to , I understand what you mean about belly dance, like you I was also in a depressed state for a part of my life, it was after my father died (I was 12) and I gained weight not due to eating but depression which was the worst time when my body was changing, I started belly dance when i was 12 and it made me feel alive when i danced and when I dance I become a mystical being I feel like I can fly, Yes there is a lot to it but it's all great...I have been in this art form for 14 years and it still makes me smile,I am learning hindi and german right now so I understand you there, I know japanese and english but that does not help much for middle eastern dance . anyway So glade to have you with us, feel free to ask anything

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful to hear dancing is helping you when you feel down. Hope you get a chance to work with a teacher at some stage. Do you have Saturday's free? Maybe you can find a class somewhere on a Saturday, even if you can only go a couple of times a month having that feedback will help you immensely.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys, thank you for welcoming me. @goddessyasaman, it's wonderful to hear how you used this kind of art to live again after losing someone you love. you know, my dad died when I was 17, he was Kurdish, I didn't knew him that well.
    and I think bellydance brings me closer to him somehow.
    Omg, I can't believe how many languages you know! Although I live a few kilometres from Germany I don't like the language and when I have to talk German to a tourist it always goes just horribly wrong... And with reading out loud I always put the emphasis on the wrong syllable. :P

@Mosaic You are right, at some point I will have to find a real teacher for feedback. I never have the same day off but in the future my work schedule will be adapted for the better, giving me more opportunities to follow classes.