Let's dance!

buikdanseres

Hello! I'm 26, from the most southern part of the Netherlands, and I have been following the posts here for a while so I have decided to join the club. I have only been bellydancing since last september but it's so much fun to do! Music and dancing are the things that lift me up and I really feel a lot better when I have danced. I have been treated for depression through talking and meds, but honestly, there is nothing for me that works better than this. When I feel down I just put the music on and dance even though I absolutely didn't feel like it. I just know that I will feel beter afterwards. I am actually quite a shy person and this is for me, the way to express myself. I am a different person when I dance.
I am not following classes irl due to irregular working hours, I have a bunch of dvd's and I spend a lot of time on youtube. I use all kinds of music to dance to. I don't have a preferrence for a certain style yet, I like the wild playflul Turkish bellydance for instance, but the baladi like Ranya Renee does is also amazing. I try to learn Arabic as well, but it's so damn hard, I get stuck at the pronunciation of the alphabet all the time. :D I have still so much to learn about styles, artists, music and so on, and I think this is just the place for that!

Greetings,

buikdanseres.

goddessyasaman

Hello and welcome fellow Dancing sister, YaY I'm 26 to:lol: , I understand what you mean about belly dance, like you I was also in a depressed state for a part of my life, it was after my father died (I was 12) and I gained weight not due to eating but depression which was the worst time when my body was changing, I started belly dance when i was 12 and it made me feel alive when i danced and when I dance I become a mystical being I feel like I can fly:D, Yes there is a lot to it but it's all great...I have been in this art form for 14 years and it still makes me smile,I am learning hindi and german right now so I understand you there, I know japanese and english but that does not help much for middle eastern dance :D. anyway So glade to have you with us, feel free to ask anything:D

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Wonderful to hear dancing is helping you when you feel down. Hope you get a chance to work with a teacher at some stage. Do you have Saturday's free? Maybe you can find a class somewhere on a Saturday, even if you can only go a couple of times a month having that feedback will help you immensely.
~Mosaic

buikdanseres

Hi guys, thank you for welcoming me. @goddessyasaman, it's wonderful to hear how you used this kind of art to live again after losing someone you love. you know, my dad died when I was 17, he was Kurdish, I didn't knew him that well.
and I think bellydance brings me closer to him somehow.
Omg, I can't believe how many languages you know! Although I live a few kilometres from Germany I don't like the language and when I have to talk German to a tourist it always goes just horribly wrong... And with reading out loud I always put the emphasis on the wrong syllable. :p

@Mosaic You are right, at some point I will have to find a real teacher for feedback. I never have the same day off but in the future my work schedule will be adapted for the better, giving me more opportunities to follow classes.