London Belly Dance Teachers

Darshiva

That question really depends on your learning style. Who is the best for you may not be the best for someone else.

I, too, am interested to see some bellydance teacher recommendations for London - being Australian I won't likely get the chance to make use of them, but I never know my luck!

mafadalo

Darshiva has a good point it depends on styles.

I lived in the UK for just under 8 years and all that time was in London and I went to a number of teachers with different styles.

However, are you asking in regards to teaching or just generally?

Jacqueline Chapman always advertised herself as the best known bellydancer in Britain, even though most people had never heard of her so I'm not sure what she based that claim on.

If you're asking in regards to teaching, let me know what level you are, however just to warn you I haven't lived there for 4 years so some of my info might be a bit outdated, but there should be some Londoners who can add to this if necessary.

Nubian_Queen

Well I prefer the Egytian style of dancing. I am poor at the moment so I dont want to be paying for classes that gets me nowhere. The class I attend at the moment I think is ok, but im not sure as iv not been to any other class to compare.

Razia

Well I prefer the Egytian style of dancing. I am poor at the moment so I dont want to be paying for classes that gets me nowhere. The class I attend at the moment I think is ok, but im not sure as iv not been to any other class to compare.

Hi there!
I thought I'd jump in here with my two cents. In the 2+ years I've been in London it seems like the scene has exploded and as with anything, you have to look around to find what you want. London has a lot of dance teachers who say they're the best but make sure you do your research ;)

I've had the privilege to work with some really talented, respected dancers here and I highly recommend Shafeek Ibrahim if you want Egyptian bellydance instruction in London. Ewa Horsfeld does lovely baladi style and trains in Egypt regularly. The Ramzy's aren't based in London but do offer a great insight into the classical side of Egyptian dance and they do offer workshops here every few months. Jo Wise is well respected and has been offering her brand of Egyptian bellydance in London for years.... she trains a lot of good dancers. Anne White, who runs Planet Egypt, teaches regularly as well.

If you're not tied to Egyptian style ''purely'', Charlotte Desorgher and Roxanna are lovely Oriental dancers who are also great teachers. I teach quite a bit too, but I wouldn't call myself an Egyptian style dancer.

These are just the first few names that pop up and I'm sure there are more, but if London based, Egyptian style, quality instruction is your aim-- try Shafeek, Ewa, Jo Wise or Anne White. Good luck!

LilithNoor

*makes mental notes in the event she ever goes home for more than a weekend*

How far are you willing to travel for a class Nubian-Queen? I'd class my hometown of Hounslow as London, but it would be a bloody long bus ride if you were on the east side of the city. I found when I was travelling a long way for classes that if I wasn't careful I was so knackered by the time I got there that I really wasn't getting my money's worth.

Nubian_Queen

Thanks for all your suggestions. Has anyone been with Asmahan, from pineapple dance studios?. Location wise, its pretty easy to get to, being based centrally. Iv not heard much talk about her although her website shows she has many years of experience.

mafadalo

I have heard of her, and generally I would suggest to stay away from the teachers in the centre of London. Most of them are overpriced, you will be in very big classrooms with lots of other students of very variable levels.

I did go to Jacqueline Chapman which is at another Central London Dance Studio (can't remember the name) and though it only cost £5 all I got out of it was the opportunity to dance for an hour, there wasn't much learning going on.

I never went to Asmahan's classes as I saw footage of her and was highly unimpressed. She is a great costume designer and her costumes are great but as a dancer, not having a sense of rhythm is not a help in this dance form. The few of her students that I did meet didn't impress me with their skill level. I met them in Khaled Mahmoud's class (if you have the chance to study with him I would definitely not miss the opportunity) and they really struggled.

Unfortunately, the best teachers tend to be the most hidden, and often aren't in the centre of London. If Nuala is still running classes, she may still have Central London classes going but she is Lebanese style and is highly proficient in Lebanese and Khaliji as she worked in Dubai for many years.

I suggest you go to one of the monthly hafla's either Planet Egypt or Saqqarah or any others that are happening and speak to people at those places as most of them have been around for a long time and will have tried many teachers.

Good luck!