Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sirčne View Post
    Thank you everyone for the valuable info!

You lovely ladies came up with a lot of good pointers and it's already helping. One more question if you don't mind: do you have a recommendation for a general dance bra for a DD+ cup?

The Enell is a fantastic, supportive bra, but I'm beginning to think it might not be the best choice for bellydance since it doesn't lift & separate.

here are a few links, I don't buy many as I make my own but these are good as well, what I use is a wire bra with with shape the cup can situp on it's own

plus size belly dance costume - Plus Size Turkish Belly Dance Costume Royal Jewel - Belly Dance Costumes - La Reina Goddesswear

Custommade ASSUIT emBELLIshment Dance Bra Base made by BelliPhat

Custom Bellydance Bra and Belt Set by JainasOriginals on Etsy

I'm going to look some more you
    Last edited by goddessyasaman; 04-07-2011 at 11:30 PM. Reason: more links

Post Thanks / Like

I wear a 14E cup. I make my own dance bras from whatever I can find that fits, and I reinforce them with grosgrain ribbon (for extra structure & support) and interfacing and a stiff cotton fabric (around about denim in weight). I don't have a lot of options in terms of bras locally in the first place, so I have to go nuts with the support stuff before I cover.

For dance practice I use a sports bra. It is so unbelievable tight and uncomfortable when I put it on - I can barely breathe it straps the girls in so tight. But I can do stripper-speed shoulder shimmies and the girls just don't move. But once I start to move in it it feels quite comfortable. The bra is stitched, not moulded. There is no underwire anywhere (I loathe underwire with a passion). There is an extra panel of fabric that comes 1/3 of the way up the underside of my boob and the seams on the main body of the bra all run diagonal towards the solar plexus. Straps are nice & broad and it has 2 lots of double hooks (which is handy because the top set need to be in one hook further than the bottom set for me) making it extra adjustable. When I bought the bra, I told the sales person exactly what I was looking for and demonstrated the kind of move (shoulder shimmy) that leads to pain when dancing for prolonged periods. She gave me an assortment of different sports bras that were designed for dancers, and this is the one I liked the best. So my advice to you is to go to a reputable lingerie shop and get fitted for a sports bra designed for dance. You will want maximum support - if the bra they recommend you lets your girls move with a slightly more vigourous shimmy, you will probably want to find a different store, or do what I did & demonstrate why that bra doesn't work.

I would recommend to you the brand & style I got, however I'm not certain it's available outside of Australia. I got it at Bras 'n' Things.
    Last edited by Darshiva; 04-07-2011 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Missed a bit

Post Thanks / Like

OMG....SNORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    My advice is that if you're giving yourself a black eye from shoulder shimmies, you need to put a speed limit on them and stick to it.

Post Thanks / Like

The sports bra I use (in case you're curious): "Sweat It!" Dual Layer Soft Cup Crop Bra - Bras N Things

Post Thanks / Like

@ goddessyasaman:
    Those are lovely (I especially ♥ the first one) but definitely more "performance" than I think I'll need for the foreseeable future.

@ LilithNoor:
    Thanks to figleaves, if it's sold in the UK, we can probably order it here in the US. The only thing that worries me is that the plunge/push-up bra doesn't seem like it would be strong enough to hold DD's. I'm going to see if I can find a Freya locally to try out. To date I've avoided moulded cups because they seem bulky - and I really don't need to add bulk to my chest - but if it holds the breasts well, my mind can be changed.

@ Darshiva:
    The "Sweat It!" look promising, it reminds me a lot of the Enell, though it seems to have better construction for stopping side to side movement. Alas, I doubt it's sold in the US, but I will look.

Has anyone here tried or perhaps own a Shockabsorber?

Post Thanks / Like

I too am pretty busty (34DD) and buy my sports bras from Sports bras, yoga clothing, womens sportswear, athletic apparel - Title Nine

They have a little rating system so you know which bras offer the most support. I don't know how their prices compare to other online shops, but I like what I get from them and my girls don't bounce. Much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sirčne View Post
    when I attempt to do a continuous shoulder shimmy at moderate pace, a pendulum effect builds with "the ladies." Now a little jiggle would be fine, normal, but this is beyond that.
    Whe I teach I make a distinction between a shoulder shimmy and a bust or chest shimmy. For my beginners I always start with a shoulder shimmy - which articulated through the shoulder - not twisting through the torso.

So for my shoulder shimmy, we start learning to slide the shoulder forward and back - without lifting or rotating. Then as one goes forward, the other goes back - still without involving the rib cage or backbone. Then it is made smaller and faster. The whole thing takes most people months to learn but the result is a controlled, elegant shoulder shimmy with a gentle bust bob.

If they continue on and do folk or beledi, they add a bust shimmy to their movement vocab. In this one the ribs twist forward and back. With this one, you get quite different effects depending on where you twist. More refined if higher. More obvious if lower.

Of course yopu can combine the two in whatever proportions you want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12