Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Giving Reputation?

I've been frustrated a number of times by wanting to "rep" someone else's post only to find out that before I can "rep" that person again I must first go off and rep a bunch of other people. I notice that others also comment that they too wanted to rep a post they liked, but couldn't because the system expected them to spread it around some more before giving another to the person. So people are posting notes saying "virtual rep to you".

I realize the reason for requiring the rep to be spread around is to reduce the likelihood of people abusing the feature. For example, it prevents someone from using a fake identity to give rep to their main one. I do think this control is a good one.

But I'm wondering, would it be possible to reduce the number of other people that we have to rep before we can give another to someone, to make it easier to legitimately give rep? Although the forum has a large number of members, only a small subset post on a regular basis, so there aren't all that many people to spread rep around to, comparatively speaking.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good idea.

I was on here for 4 or 5 months before I even had a rep option... I never even noticed them! Then one day I was like, how come everyone has green marks under their pics... even a brand new person who just posted, "Hi"?!!! I just noticed now that you can even read the notes with the reps... geez I'm slow

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you Shira. The only way I can give rep is to randomnly give it to all new posters, and then I would soon be unable to rep realy good posts again. as it stands the function is meaningless.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree about the rep system - it can be incredibly frustrating if there is this one person who just says the most wonderful, profound things & you just can't rep them because you gave them a rep some time last year & the new rep-ability hasn't ticked over yet.

I think I would prefer a time-based system to a people rep'd-based system because that's a little more logical.

Post Thanks / Like

Does the 'rep' function do anything in particular? I mean, apart from suggesting that the person has (a) been around a long time and (b) everyone luuurves them (who wouldn't?!), does rep make any difference?
    I'd prefer to see something more like a thumbs up attached to each post, rather than attached to the person making the post. Even the worst person can make a great point, and a great person can make a really lousy post!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been told quite a few times by people who wanted to "rep" me but they had to fulfill a quota for others first. Maybe the forum is afraid of turning this into a popularity contest or getting all their friends to vote for some but not for others? Or do you have to "rep" some others before you can receive them as well?

I still don't even know how to "rep" anyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greek Bonfire View Post
    I've been told quite a few times by people who wanted to "rep" me but they had to fulfill a quota for others first. Maybe the forum is afraid of turning this into a popularity contest or getting all their friends to vote for some but not for others? Or do you have to "rep" some others before you can receive them as well?

I still don't even know how to "rep" anyone!
    Imdermeath the little green boxers which shows a person's rep, there is a scale icon right next to the dot that indicates if a user is online or not. Oops, hang on, I forget if you click on the scale icon, or right-click...brb...

EDIT: Okay, it's click. A box will appear, and you have two choices: approve, or disapprove of the post. Click the "I approve" dot, then write in the box below why you approve of the user's post, You'll then receive a "thank you" for giving reputation, and a blessing for you to receive reputation in turn.
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 04-13-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

What Farasha said. Plus, you have to be logged in.

Ironically, I can't "rep" Shira for her post

Post Thanks / Like

Another thread where people wanted to "rep" someone and couldn't due to the need to spread some love around first:

http://www.bellydanceforums.net/danc...tml#post184768

See messages 84 and 85 on that link.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to pop in and disagree with changing the rep system. Sure it's annoying when you want to rep someone and it won't let you but I used to be on a forum that didn't restrict reping and it turned into a popularity contest or mutual appreciation between one or two people. I much prefer the currant system, at least if someone reps me I know it means something. If they just say they wish they could, well that means something too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast