Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    74
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The only problem I see in requiring x number of reps to be doled out to before being able to rep a particular person again is, people will rep comments just in order to burn through the requirement, which doesn't seem to be in the spirit of repping in the first place. Wow, 4 reps in one sentence, my English teacher would be appalled.

  2. #12
    V.I.P. shiradotnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,624
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    I'm going to pop in and disagree with changing the rep system. Sure it's annoying when you want to rep someone and it won't let you but I used to be on a forum that didn't restrict reping and it turned into a popularity contest or mutual appreciation between one or two people. I much prefer the currant system, at least if someone reps me I know it means something.
    I agree with you that some level of restriction can be valuable. I'm just thinking that maybe it would be a good idea to take a fresh look at how many different people someone must rep before they can give a new one to someone they have repped before. I don't know what the setting currently is, but I think it's out of balance with the size of the membership and message volume.

    These days, I think only 1 out of 5 of my attempts to rep someone else actually go through. It is so frustrating that I've just about giving up on using the rep feature at all, and that kind of defeats the whole point of having the feature, doesn't it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    If they just say they wish they could, well that means something too.
    Yeah, but that clutters up the thread with low-value messages. I get tired of reading messages to the effect "I wanted to rep you but it wouldn't let me."

  3. #13
    V.I.P. Greek Bonfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chitown, USA
    Posts
    2,207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I could've been repped much more than I am now! I don't understand what the deal is but I did like the idea of it being on a merit system. I am not here to get "gold stars" but if someone likes what I say, why shouldn't they be able to rep me? Also, I was never aware until recently that I have the option as well, as least I think I do?

  4. #14
    V.I.P. shiradotnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,624
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greek Bonfire View Post
    I am not here to get "gold stars" but if someone likes what I say, why shouldn't they be able to rep me? Also, I was never aware until recently that I have the option as well, as least I think I do?
    I think every forum member has the option of repping any message they deem worthy. But before you can go back and give another rep to someone you have already repped in the past, you have to rep a bunch of other people in between.

  5. #15
    V.I.P. jenc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Colchester UK
    Posts
    2,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have also pretty well given up on giving rep. That's a shame as it's a nice little system that allows you to send a personal message with it too.

    reduce the number I say

  6. #16
    V.I.P. Ariadne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NE Mojave Desert
    Posts
    2,267
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shiradotnet View Post
    I agree with you that some level of restriction can be valuable. I'm just thinking that maybe it would be a good idea to take a fresh look at how many different people someone must rep before they can give a new one to someone they have repped before. I don't know what the setting currently is, but I think it's out of balance with the size of the membership and message volume.
    That's reasonable, as long as it not to get rid of the restrictions altogether.

    Quote Originally Posted by shiradotnet View Post
    Yeah, but that clutters up the thread with low-value messages. I get tired of reading messages to the effect "I wanted to rep you but it wouldn't let me."
    So encourage people to leave it as a message on their profile page instead.

  7. #17
    V.I.P. shiradotnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,624
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    So encourage people to leave it as a message on their profile page instead.
    Well, that's a hassle. It requires exiting the thread, going somewhere else, figuring out how to post such a message, then returning to the thread and trying to find the place where you left off. Not nearly as convenient as just clicking the scale and entering something in the comment box. I doubt I'd do it. As it is, I usually don't bother typing "I can't rep you so here's some virtual rep" either.

    There are many nice things about the rep feature - things that don't apply to the workarounds we've been discussing. It's just a shame that the implementation prevents us from using it for its intended purpose.

  8. #18
    V.I.P. Ariadne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NE Mojave Desert
    Posts
    2,267
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shiradotnet View Post
    Well, that's a hassle. It requires exiting the thread, going somewhere else, figuring out how to post such a message, then returning to the thread and trying to find the place where you left off.
    Really? All I had to do was right click on your name, select "Open Link in New Tab", and it lands me right on your personal page with this nice section titled "Visitor Messages" right under your picture and the "Send Message" toolbar. I'm still in the same thread too right where I was. In fact if I click on the number of the post I can even copy the url and put it into my message. If that is too much of a hassle maybe the compliment wasn't really that important after all.
    Last edited by Ariadne; 05-13-2011 at 12:02 AM. Reason: changing personal tenses

  9. #19
    V.I.P. shiradotnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,624
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    Really? All I had to do was right click on your name, select "Open Link in New Tab", and it lands me right on your personal page with this nice section titled "Visitor Messages" right under your picture and the "Send Message" toolbar. I'm still in the same thread too right where I was. In fact if I click on the number of the post I can even copy the url and put it into my message. If that is too much of a hassle maybe the compliment wasn't really that important after all.
    You're right that people who are proficient with browser technologies can figure out how to do what you did. But not everybody knows how to use right-click as efficiently as you do.

    Back to my original point, I just think it would be nice to set a lower threshold for how many in-between reps are needed before one can go back and rep someone again. I'm fine with having some kind of limit, I just think the current limit is too restrictive.
    Last edited by shiradotnet; 05-13-2011 at 05:32 AM.

  10. #20
    V.I.P. Ariadne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NE Mojave Desert
    Posts
    2,267
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shiradotnet View Post
    How nice that you are such a proficient power user of browsing technology.
    I was unaware that knowing how to right click made someone a "power user".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •