The Project Bellydance -final 6 DVD

teela

I got this last week and watched it fully over the weekend and tried a few of the things. It is set up so the 6 finalists each teach a lesson and each is set up with a great menu. If you want to do the whole DVD you can and as usual there is an extended practice section. I really liked the section on transitions and the combination's shown in it as each transition was included and built upon. I also enjoyed the ballet bootcamp segment. Actually, I really liked all the sections but these two are my favourites. I will say, that the one with expressions was not on the top of my list but I loved the drill of dancing to various layers of music, like only the violin, or the drums, or whatever. That was totally worthwhile. Overall, I am glad I got it.

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I am waiting for mine to arrive, thanks for the review, I'll look forward to seeing it. The working with one instrument within the music sounds good.
~Mosaic

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Mine arrived today.

Jenc, I think you have to order via Cheeky Girls Productions. I received an email telling me it was available for ordering/buying and it was direct.
~Mosaic

Shems

yay! I'm glad you liked my segment Teela! Despite a couple o' tongue stumbles, I really liked my segment too. (Mine was the transitions segment.) My first time taping a teaching DVD and I must say, it isn't as easy as it looks.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out, both my part and my co-dancers. :)

teela

Shems: You did a great job on the transitions. It is something I have needed to work on. I noticed that in a way all the individual instructions kind of fits together so overall one can improve their dance. Good job

Sirène

To anyone who has the DVD, think a beginner might get anything out of it? Or is it strictly for intermediate/advanced dancers?

Shems

To anyone who has the DVD, think a beginner might get anything out of it? Or is it strictly for intermediate/advanced dancers?

It depends on what your definition of beginner is.

I wouldn't recommend it to somebody who has never taken belly dance before at all and is looking for a DVD to start off learning her basic movements with. I think most of it is focused towards a dancer who already has a lot of the basics under her belt.

However, I think a lot of the information presented can start being absorbed at an early level. I'm thinking of a beginner who has had some classes and has already grasped a good amount of basic movement vocabulary. (I actually practiced the material I taught on the DVD with my beginning level class so they could give me feedback - it was a little too challenging for some of them, but others caught on to a lot of the material pretty well.)

Some of the material on the DVD, and I'm talking about all the sections here, you might not be able to do right away, but there will definitely be some movements, exercises and ideas that you can start to utilize right off the bat to complement wherever you are at with your dancing.

Shems: You did a great job on the transitions. It is something I have needed to work on. I noticed that in a way all the individual instructions kind of fits together so overall one can improve their dance. Good job

Yay thanks! Yes I thought the material everyone brought to the table, complemented each other's choices really nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirène

Thank you for the information. Sounds like something I'm probably not yet ready for, but I will keep it on my radar for the future.

jenc

You will never see me doing anything with a sword. It bores me - if I wanted to watch someone doing balancing act I would go to the circus

-(ducks)