Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Zills Drills

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by astro_girl View Post
    And, to some frustration I have experienced the varying ways that musicians play so-called common rhythms.
    In my (rather limited) experience with live professional drummers, they will play a recognizable version of the rhythm about twice, and then go off on some bizarre tangent that you've never heard and will never hear again

It's a great idea to collect as many rhythm id CDs as you can afford, just to get used to hearing a variety of versions of one rhythm. Suhaila has some, Nourhan has some, Jalilah has one, Uncle Mafufo has a couple, Billy Woods has one ... And the DVD Heartbeat of Bellydance (made by World Dance New York) has a great section on drum rhythms and dancing to them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    In my (rather limited) experience with live professional drummers, they will play a recognizable version of the rhythm about twice, and then go off on some bizarre tangent that you've never heard and will never hear again

It's a great idea to collect as many rhythm id CDs as you can afford, just to get used to hearing a variety of versions of one rhythm. Suhaila has some, Nourhan has some, Jalilah has one, Uncle Mafufo has a couple, Billy Woods has one ... And the DVD Heartbeat of Bellydance (made by World Dance New York) has a great section on drum rhythms and dancing to them.
    Great suggestions, and ayeee...I have Uncle M.'s and the Heartbeat of BD already! Will check out the others as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Samira, since you're taking ATS classes, you'll probably want the Fat Chance dvd that covers cymbals -- I'm not sure which volume this is, though.

FCBD Tribal Basics Vol. 3 Zils

ATS is a structured form, with specific cymbal patterns used, so your mileage may vary when it comes to the usefulness of the other, Oriental-focused, cymbal dvds.
    And vice versa: If you are oriental-focused (and have some musical theory in your background), this is not the DVD you want.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Samira, since you're taking ATS classes, you'll probably want the Fat Chance dvd that covers cymbals -- I'm not sure which volume this is, though.

ATS is a structured form, with specific cymbal patterns used, so your mileage may vary when it comes to the usefulness of the other, Oriental-focused, cymbal dvds.
    I believe it is volume three that focuses mainly on zills, but I am not sure. I just ordered the first volume as the teacher recommended it and I think it also talks a little bit about zills.

Thanks for the advice. Still new and have a lot to learn.

Edit-I guess I was right about which volume, thanks Daimona.
    Last edited by DesertRoseSamira; 04-27-2011 at 08:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoseSamira View Post
    I believe it is volume three that focuses mainly on zills, but I am not sure. I just ordered the first volume as the teacher recommended it and I think it also talks a little bit about zills.
    You're welcome, Samira. Vol. 1 has a small chapter about zils as well, but if I remember correctly (it has been a while since I saw it), they refer to vol. 3 for further instruction.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoseSamira View Post

Thanks for the advice. Still new and have a lot to learn.

Edit-I guess I was right about which volume, thanks Daimona.
    It is Volume 3, and there is a review of it on my web site at this link: Tribal Basics Volume 3 - Zils, by Carolena Nericcio of FatChanceBellyDance: A Video Review By Shira

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know it that there is more than just this one dvd with Ansuya about zills. The first one is really good.

Thank you a lot for this info

Post Thanks / Like

May I suggest Artemis's Zill Speak - Vol 1 of the 2 part Cymbals Speak? It has a 40 page instructional booklet included with the CD. Many people love it.
    Amazon.com: Zill Speak - How to Play Finger Cymbals from A(lmee) to Z(ills): Elizabeth Artemis Mourat: Music

Vol 2 Sagat Speak teaches Egyptian patterns with the numbers as well. That too has a 40 page booklet - but is designed for sagat rather than zills. This article explains the difference:
    Gilded Serpent, Belly Dance News & Events , You Say Zills, I say Sagat

For rhythm identifications - this CD has 25 different rhythms and 31 tracks:
    The Henkesh Brothers | Pulse of the Sphinx: Volume 2 - Rhythm Drills | CD Baby
    You can listen to samples on line and download the whole album. It is played by the Henkesh Brothers from Egypt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    May I suggest Artemis's Zill Speak - Vol 1 of the 2 part Cymbals Speak? It has a 40 page instructional booklet included with the CD. Many people love it.
    Amazon.com: Zill Speak - How to Play Finger Cymbals from A(lmee) to Z(ills): Elizabeth Artemis Mourat: Music

Vol 2 Sagat Speak teaches Egyptian patterns with the numbers as well. That too has a 40 page booklet - but is designed for sagat rather than zills. This article explains the difference:
    Gilded Serpent, Belly Dance News & Events , You Say Zills, I say Sagat

For rhythm identifications - this CD has 25 different rhythms and 31 tracks:
    The Henkesh Brothers | Pulse of the Sphinx: Volume 2 - Rhythm Drills | CD Baby
    You can listen to samples on line and download the whole album. It is played by the Henkesh Brothers from Egypt.
    I just bought the first two a few months ago and LOVE them!! I don't have the 3rd one yet.

Seriously, the enclosed booklet is worth the purchase price alone. Great job, you guys!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought the first two a few months ago and LOVE them!! I don't have the 3rd one yet. Seriously, the enclosed booklet is worth the purchase price alone. Great job, you guys!!!
    Thank you!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast