Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Zills Drills

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by da Sage View Post
    I'm really confused. Why didn't you just cut off the too-tight elastic and sew on looser elastic from the fabric store? Did you buy your first zill set second-hand from someone with super-slender fingers?

It's a neat idea to have slider-adjustable zill loops, but I've never actually seen such a thing. All the zills I've seen were adjusted by the dancer to fit the dancer (using a needle and thread - you can use safety pins to take up the slack in a pinch, though).
    Amazon.com: Basic Beat Stamped Brass Finger Cymbals (2 pr): Musical Instruments

Now you have seen such a thing,lol. These are totally adjustable, i really like them. I'm on amazon getting a pair for a friend and thought id link them.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen a similar pair and the "buckle" was stamped aluminum and wouldn't actually hold the tension. Are these better?

Not really understanding why you'd need adjustable elastics. That IS the point of elastic -- to have a tight fit, but allow for circulation.

Cymbals really should fit tight enough that they don't spin on you and won't fly off your fingers. The elastic breaks down pretty quickly when you practice a lot. I can't tell you how many times I've been caught on video "adjusting" my sliding cymbals because I thought I could get one more use out of those elastics. groan. You'd think I'd learn.

Post Thanks / Like

The first pair i ever got did not allow for circulation, they cut off my circulation to the point of blue finger tips and numbness literally....so after that i was like forget it this! id rather re-adjust a buckle than not even be able to use them for a minute.

I only practice at home on my own in them, i do not trust that the elastic would stay exactly were needed for say performance purposes. But they stay enough for my needs. If i were going to perform or have a class to use them in- id probably have to go back on the hunt for zills that actually are the best suited to me.

But i do like the ones i linked ,for practicing along to DVD's and using at home. Honestly i suck at them so much i don't know if i will ever even need to upgrade :o(

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Taslin View Post
    But i do like the ones i linked ,for practicing along to DVD's and using at home. Honestly i suck at them so much i don't know if i will ever even need to upgrade :o(

LOL -- actually, some great advice I got when I was a newbie was to buy GOOD cymbals first. I got the Saroyan Nefertitis to start with and took to cymbals like a fish in water. My classmates got the "bellydancer in a box" stamped metal ones and always hated cymbal playing. I can't help but wonder if it wasn't because the sound on them was so awful.

I bought a wholesale lot of the Nefertitis for my students and pretty much insisted they start with those. You know what they said was the first thing they wanted to do once I got back from maternity leave? A cymbal choreography -- lol.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345