Studio Scholarships

farasharaks

Has anyone heard of a bellydance or dance studio offering "scholarships" to their students? How does that work in your area?

Darshiva

I know of a few dance teachers (myself included) who sometimes pretend a student has paid if they haven't if they are a promising & dedicated student who practices like whoa on their own time & is generally very devoted to dance but is usually too broke to attend classes.

One of the students of a friend of mine who gained the benefit of that now teaches & performs in her local area, so it worked out well for her.

Scholarships - I don't know how they work, perhaps it's the same thing?

shiradotnet

I've heard of studios offering barter. I used to have a teacher who used barter a lot with students who didn't have the cash for classes. One was a manicurist and did her nails every week. Another cleaned her house weekly.

I've known of workshop sponsors who offered free workshop attendance to people who couldn't afford cash for the workshop but were willing to spend a lot of time helping with the behind-the-scenes logistical stuff. For example, the sponsor had a vending table at her own workshop, so barter participants helped pack the merchandise to be taken to the workshop location, unpack & set up, handle the buying & selling, pack up when the workshop was over, etc.