Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New York out in the 'burbs of Lungh Eylund
    Post Thanks / Like

Default sword dance advice

One other thing if you are lucky enough to have a backyard or semi-private outdoor space. I practice in the yard, then one doesn't have to worry about, odd scuff marks or gouges on the ceiling, and usually the yard doesn't have furniture or knicknacks that get in the way. Also if you drop the sword, less damage to the sword (and floor) on the grass and you have more room to get out of the way. Of course the neighbors might give you an odd look, but hey, getting to know the neighbors is fun...who knows they might be bellydancers too. Creaks

Post Thanks / Like

As well as filing to rough up the spot where my sword balances on my head I have put a very tiny dot of nail polish in the center of the sword on the flat side - too small for the audience to notice but as I raise my sword (so long as I do it in front of me) I see the dot and even though it's more of a psychological aid it gives me the confindence that I'm on track.

I've been asked if I wear a special headband by audience members so perhaps some people do think it's a cheat. I have explained that it doesn't help me balance the sword but it does help because my hair is slippery and also for a bit of protection because my sword is quite heavy and hurts my head. So not a cheat in that it's got some hidden groove in it but it does help me out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by katjane View Post
    I may try the headband thing although when I see dancers performing with a headband I often think they are kind of cheating. Do you think everyone thinks that?
    I actually like having a headband or headscarf. It adds to the costuming and helps highlight the area where something significant is happening. Just today, a couple of dancers who don't use swords said the same thing. When the audience sees the sword is balanced and the dancer is still dancing, there is invariably applause (at least where I am), even with a headband. Just make sure it really suits the rest of the costume

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12