Teaching

dansorient

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is well.

I would just like to ask some advices on teaching. I started learning bellydance 5 years ago through instructional videos. I studied each move and practiced (from undulations, mayas and hip drops). After sometime, I went into my first belly class where the basics were taught. I started practicing those moves and shared them to my fellow dance colleagues. I also attended local classes and those at the gym.

A friend of mine opened this dance studio last year, mainly on breakdance, hiphop, jazz funk classes. Now, they're opening their doors to other forms of dance, particularly, bellydance. They're looking for someone who can teach the basic moves and conduct classes - and I would like to volunteer to teach the class.

Any advice on conducting beginner classes?

Your thoughts are highly appreciated.

*And I do hope nothing's wrong if a guy is the one teaching the class :)

Shanazel

I don't intend to sound snarky, so please forgive me if I miss the mark. Five years of dvds and beginning classes is not enough experience to teach. Unless you have gone far beyond basics yourself, please consider concentrating on your own education instead of moving into teaching.

By the way, gender is not a limitation.

Gia al Qamar

What Shanazel said.
Too often students eagerness to acheive is confused with their ability to deliver. While you may feel certain that you can 'do' the things you wish to teach, a student must always be accomplished at their craft before passing on knowledge. Always.
After perfecting your own ability as a dancer, it's necessary to learn HOW to teach...not just the movements, but everything a student needs to know about Middle Eastern culture, performing, costuming, proper physical foundation, warm ups, cool downs, stretches, strengthening and the emotional stuff that goes along with it all...and more.
You are responsible, as a teacher, for your student's well being...it's a serious committment and one that shouldn't be taken lightly.

Kashmir

I would just like to ask some advices on teaching. I started learning bellydance 5 years ago through instructional videos. I studied each move and practiced (from undulations, mayas and hip drops). After sometime, I went into my first belly class where the basics were taught. I started practicing those moves and shared them to my fellow dance colleagues. I also attended local classes and those at the gym.
<snip>They're looking for someone who can teach the basic moves and conduct classes - and I would like to volunteer to teach the class.
Belly dance is more than moves - basic or otherwise. Before thinking about teaching you need a good grasp of how belly dance works - what makes it belly dance and not jazz for instance; you need to know how to interpret Middle Eastern music; you should have some ideas about major styles/genres.

For teaching you also need to know how to teach. That is, take that knowledge and distil it down. Know what is suitable and safe to begin teaching - and how you will do it for a range of people with different learning styles, ability - even injuries.
*And I do hope nothing's wrong if a guy is the one teaching the class :)
I don't think so as my teachers included three great male teachers - Dr Mo Geddawi, Yousry Sharif and Mohamed Kazafy.

dansorient

Thank you Gia al Qamar and Kashmir for the advices. I guess this goes down to honing my skills and perfecting the dance and my knowledge about the background and culture. Then sharing it.

I will keep on learning new styles and techniques. Again, many thanks.