Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discouraged

Post Thanks / Like

Just when I was really getting good at zills, I had to slow down as it was bothering my carpel tunnel scars!

It will come to you though, just keep practicing. What I did was to do one movement with zills until I got it, then did more and more until I did a whole song. I find it funny though, that you have to be totally proficient for just a level 2 class.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the supportive words. I was venting and knew you guys would listen!
    I actually like zills and am eager to get better with them, but my 'happy' took a blow when the instructor said we needed to catch up already.
    I've ordered Ansuyas Zill dvd and Killer Ziller, hopefully they will help me get my feet and hips doing the right things while I zill.

Post Thanks / Like

Gypsy, you are at a really cool place in your education, actually.

This is where you are going to start seeing improvement in leaps and bounds, if you keep at it.

It's very challenging to actually DANCE with cymbals, yes. And EVERYBODY starts off feeling very uncomfortable and uncoordinated with them. BUT, in just a few short months of practice you will be AMAZED at your progress.

Try it 2 ways -- learn the patterns by just walking around and playing them. Once you are comfortable with a few of the patterns, then try doing simple combinations while playing those patterns. Or play over one of your beginner practice dvds. Playing while practicing with a beginner dvd you are familiar with will really improve your coordination and your confidence.

Give it 6 months and report back I'll bet you'll look back on this thread and think "wow, I'm awesome now!"

Your teacher is issuing a challenge to you. Are you up for it? I think so

New York out in the 'burbs of Lungh Eylund
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Discouraged

Hi Gypsy, zill playing is really hard took me years and then one day I got it. I think that is the way it happens with most of us. Great practice is air zilling, to anything and anywhere. Car trips are great for that it also builds up muscle memory. Learning to listen to the music (any thing from pop to classical to ME) critically to hear the beat, then formulate the zill pattern. Another thing if you are left handed and the beat is counted out R.R,L your brain is doing a micro switch from your dominate hand to the R hand. One of my teachers and I had a discussion about this when she noticed that many of her left handed students had a slight delay. She changed the count to 1,1,2 or dominate hand , minor hand; and yes I zill L,L,R even if some one is counting it R.R.L. Hope that helps Creaks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    Gypsy, you are at a really cool place in your education, actually.

This is where you are going to start seeing improvement in leaps and bounds, if you keep at it.

It's very challenging to actually DANCE with cymbals, yes. And EVERYBODY starts off feeling very uncomfortable and uncoordinated with them. BUT, in just a few short months of practice you will be AMAZED at your progress.

Try it 2 ways -- learn the patterns by just walking around and playing them. Once you are comfortable with a few of the patterns, then try doing simple combinations while playing those patterns. Or play over one of your beginner practice dvds. Playing while practicing with a beginner dvd you are familiar with will really improve your coordination and your confidence.

Give it 6 months and report back I'll bet you'll look back on this thread and think "wow, I'm awesome now!"

Your teacher is issuing a challenge to you. Are you up for it? I think so
    Been 6 months, so I thought I'd say, Yes it's going much better now!
    I practice at home a couple times a week and have not found class cymbal playing to be a challenge anymore.
    Cheers all!

Post Thanks / Like

I have never liked zills and have rarely had a teacher who taught them in class. If you don't like it, maybe move to another teacher.

Post Thanks / Like

Gypsy, thank you so much for the update! It is very inspirational to read that you are getting better and seeing results Good job!

Post Thanks / Like

Although I think it's an important aspect of learning bellydance to learn zills, I don't think it's absolutely mandatory in order to move forward. There are beautiful dancers out there who don't really use zills every single time. It's really a nice prop to add to a performance or show, but there are also so many other props that you can learn and master, maybe zills isn't what you will master, maybe it's the veil, or the Isis wings, or candelabra! Or maybe you will enjoy learning the cane dance and master more earthy or folkloric dances! The possiblities are endless as to where you can go in your dance. But I think it's important you talk to your teacher and tell her how you feel, and maybe she can help you get better at them. Maybe she can offer a private class or two in order to help you get the zills and patterns right. I don't think you should be penalized for not completely mastering them. Talk to your teacher and good luck! If it doesn't get better for you, and your teacher does not want to cooperate with you, then find someone else! The teacher is there to teach you, not to discourage you! Best of luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12