Some advice about my website?

PracticalDancer

I am not having this problem, could you please clear your cookies and give it another crack - if the problem persists, please let me know what browser & version you are using, just in case that makes a difference.

Cookies cleared (leaving only a select few that I KNOW are not from Facebook or your site), and I still see Ferdi from your home page and Services page links. I am on Safari 5.0.4 -- but, I am in the US, if that makes a difference . . .

Sirène

Cookies cleared (leaving only a select few that I KNOW are not from Facebook or your site), and I still see Ferdi from your home page and Services page links. I am on Safari 5.0.4 -- but, I am in the US, if that makes a difference . . .

How bizarre! After clearing cookies and histories on my all my browsers, I followed the Facebook links on the services page in Firefox (4.0): no problem, went right where it was supposed to, Darshiva's FB page. Tried it in Safari (5.0.5) - Ferdi Nuredinovski! Same with Internet Explorer (9.0), more Ferdi. :shok:

Not to be mean or anything I understand you love it ... and we all have our ideas on what we love or don't love on websites ... but I personally don't like the background, it is too busy and feels/looked heavy and weighed down. The small yellow print is not easy to read on the heavy background. It is the type of website I tend to click away from, Sorry ... & Mosaic quietly and (tries to) unobtrusively exit the thread;)
~Mosaic

Sorry to say, but I agree with Mosaic. It's happened to me too - you fall in love with a beautiful graphic and that blinds you to the problems your readers might have.

I was just looking at Outi's website which is fairly plain, so the contrast really struck me. There seemed to be far too much going on , what with images and different colours and different fonts - it almost hurt my eyes to look at. And to be honest, I couldn't see what the main picture was - it took me a minute or two to work out it was a blurry, muddy photo of a hip scarf. For me, the two images interfered with each other rather than complementing each other.

Well, you did ask me to be honest!

You can do nice things with graphics in the header and, if you make your website narrower, you can also use graphics in the background so they show on one or both sides - but most website gurus recommend against using them in the middle, behind the text.

Last edited:

jenc

i thought it was a snake cos of the yellow smoke - why those as well as the hip scarf. I agree it is not the kind of website that I would stay long enough to read. There is nothing wron with light text on dark - it can be easier to read, but I don't really like text over graphics and the red text is even harder to read

Darshiva

Thankyou all for your invaluable feedback. I have given the url to this thread to my web designer and we are working together to resolve the issues raised here.