Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh its not Sadie, i respect Sadie's technique-im trying to get off from work to go to her workshop but she is far far from me.

The instructor im using is SO different from Sadie. She is certified by Ansuya of the BellyDance Super Stars. Very different than Sadie. She is professional but emotes....ummm a whole different vibe I'd say.

I chickened out on the hafla's btw but she did give me a site to go to see all of the upcoming events so soon i will take the next steps, in addition to continuing her class.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, there. I'm glad that you took the first step and enjoyed it. I also took my first class yesterday and just joined the forms. I'm taking an American Tribal Style class and so far it was really fun. The teacher and the students were nice and helpful.

I was also a bit nervous and scared at first, I didn't know anyone and this is the first Belly Dance class I ever took. I was also excited as well and been looking forward to taking a class besides just using DVDs.

I hope you continue to enjoy your classes, maybe you can try to go to the next hafla.

Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin

Welcome DesertRoseSamira! glad you made it through the new class hurdle as well. Welcome to the forum, im new here too

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, welcome as well.

Glad I'm not the only new student out there. Being new can be scary, but we seemed to have gotten past the first hurdle.

Post Thanks / Like

Most people, ME dancers and non ME dancers alike are decent, friendly people. The likelihood is that your class will be full of normal people of all ages, but as people have said before me, you'll never know unless you try! Take a deep breath and go for it! Remember - if you don't like it, it may just be that the particular class isn't for you. Try them out until you find one that fits your personality.

EDIT: Oops, should have read the whole thread. Glad it went ok for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Go forth and conquer, honey. Most people in a beginning class are so self-conscious that they won't even notice you are, too. Just wear something comfortable in a color you like, put on your best smile, and look forward to a great new experience. We mostly find what we're looking for in new situations, so expect something good.

I've taught for many years and my classes are filled with diverse people: my youngest student was about eight, my oldest well on her way to eighty. They all fit in beautifully with each other thanks to a shared love of BD.

You'll be just fine.
    This.

Everyone feels gawky in a beginning dance class - EVERYONE. Darn near everyone feels gawky in an advanced dance class.

Students are "allowed" to be gawky in class - that's what class is for! If you already knew the dance, you'd be teaching it, not taking the class!

Students come in all ages, sizes, shapes, colors, and genders. You won't be alone.

And Belly Dancers are about the nicest people you can encounter!

Post Thanks / Like

^^My classes have been not at all diverse, until i arrived. I'd like to add to that, that you could end up being alone in whatever bracket you are in and still have an amazing time.

For example: All the students in my class are white, under 30, and somewhat slender. Im the opposite of all that , and it still rocks!

So im glad the non-diversity didnt scare me off because they are kind....but i am curious to see if classes offered on other days/times are more diverse.

Guess ill find out tomorrow when i drop in on an additional new class, i am soooo hooked :o)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123