Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I love my isis wings! I would get terribly bored if I had to use them all the time, but for a short piece they add variety to a show and our audiences have all been very enthusiastic about them.

They do have a wow factor about them and I think they are a rewarding prop for a beginner to use as you can do "big" moves and have impact with relatively little dance ability. (I realise this is why some people hate them)

I can imagine they could be awful if overused/used badly but they are a lot of fun.

I am lucky enough to have a space to practice with them but I suppose you could always practice outside if you really have to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Pyene View Post
    I've been going to beginner level belly dancing classes for almost two years. Our teacher wants to start a new choreography with us soon incorporating either fan veils or Isis wings. So we need to decide by the next class which one we would rather learn. She did a demo of both and I think the Isis wings looks very impressive and possibly easier. I also liked the fan veils and as I can use poi I was thinking that those skills would complement learning how to dance with fan veils.

I'm still undecided. Does anyone have any pros or cons of learning either?
    I would go with whichever prop is least often used well in your local performance community. Because if you're going to perform the choreography around town, you don't want an audience that is already slightly bored with seeing X prop.

Or, just pick the prop which you think worked better when the teacher performed with it. Chances are she's better at choreographing for one or the other, and why not learn the one she's better at designing dances for?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Pyene View Post
    I've been going to beginner level belly dancing classes for almost two years. Our teacher wants to start a new choreography with us soon incorporating either fan veils or Isis wings. So we need to decide by the next class which one we would rather learn. She did a demo of both and I think the Isis wings looks very impressive and possibly easier. I also liked the fan veils and as I can use poi I was thinking that those skills would complement learning how to dance with fan veils.

I'm still undecided. Does anyone have any pros or cons of learning either?
    I never thought of Isis wings as a beginner prop., and I've never performed in a venue where more than one of us could fit on the stage at the time w/a pair. We've used Chinese wooden fans in a more eclectic routine which was fun and manageable due to the size, but not poi fans yet. Just a thought...if you mess up w/the smaller prop., it's probably going to be easier to conceal or recover than if you do so w/the wings. One of my instructors has put out some Isis wings instructional videos, and so far I have not yet been inclined to tackle this prop. I still feel I want/need to master others like zills and veils before I move onto the others...as tempting as they are. JMHO...have fun with whatever prop. you choose.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the responses and opinions! I've been looking at videos of both on youtube and at the moment I'd be happy to learn either but I'm leaning more toward Isis wings.

Just to respond to a few points that were made, we haven't done much work with props before apart from a few classes on using the veil. There was also a workshop on using the cane (which I wasn't at.) For me it's more about which I think will be more interesting or enjoyable to learn as opposed to perform. As I mentioned we are a beginner class so the aim isn't necessarily to put on a professional performance but to learn something new and maybe at some point include it into a small show for friends and family and other students.

Post Thanks / Like

Given it's a beginner class, I'd vote for fan veils, because they're much cheaper than Isis wings, and very easily available.

In my experience, they need a lot less work and good posture to look pretty (isis wings show up every postural issue in the book), which is a bonus if you're going to be performing to family and friends. They're not authentic, but they're fun, and if your class like fun, why not?

They also take up a lot less space!

Post Thanks / Like

Pluses and minuses to each. Both are "new" props, not traditional ones. Both require space. Both can be reasonably priced or crazy costly.

Isis wings demand good posture and power from the torso. When dancers try to power the wings from the arms, it just looks like silly flapping. Challenging, yes, but the lessons in posture will make all your dancing look better.

Isis wings can be a fabulous backdrop for torso/hip/chest isolations. If your isolations are weak, the effort you put into focusing on improving your isolations will improve your dance overall.

Wing dances often involve a lot of spinning. If spinning is a weak point for you, then wings are a fun way to work on that.

Finally, wings don't have to be the ordinary pleated wings fastened at the neck with extension sticks. They can be soft half circles of silk or silkessence. They can be shaped like swallowtails. They can be shorter, like wrist length. Or attached at the top of each arm instead of the neck. Or even small, soft half circles that extend from wrist to top of the arm. Each style has a different effect, but they all require the same great posture, power from the torso, and clean isolations. And practicing these three things will improve your dance over all.

I guess I'm coming at this from the point of view of What Will Make a Better Dancer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12