Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How long between when you began lessons and your first performance?

I realize there are a zillion variables that affect the time frame of when someone is ready to perform. I just want to get some general ideas...I read something recently about how some students may be ready to perform as early as 3 months and I was kind of offended. I realize there are those who have taken other dance training and got into belly dance and progressed pretty quickly. But I thought the best dancers spent years either growing up with it or training seriously...just wondering! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

As dance is a performing art, it's not inappropriate for dancers who are still learning to also perform in friendly settings - family party, student recital, or a hafla.

Post Thanks / Like

I was invited to perform (as all the beginners were) at our school's christmas concert. At that stage I had only been taking a weekly class for 3 months and just didn't feel anywhere near ready. About 8 months later I had my first performance and loved it.

My teacher is big on giving stage experience to her students which is great, but only you can know when you feel up to it.

When you do, go for it and have fun

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by patiencepie View Post
    I realize there are a zillion variables that affect the time frame of when someone is ready to perform. I just want to get some general ideas...I read something recently about how some students may be ready to perform as early as 3 months and I was kind of offended. I realize there are those who have taken other dance training and got into belly dance and progressed pretty quickly. But I thought the best dancers spent years either growing up with it or training seriously...just wondering! Thanks!
    The time line will be different for different types of performing. The usual types of performances are:

- Unpaid -

1. Recitals - students
    2. Haflas/Parties - mixed level: students, hobbyists, semi-professionals, and professionals
    3. Stage shows - hafla: mixed level students, hobbyists, semi-professionals, and professionals
    4. Stage shows - workshop: mixed level students, hobbyists, semi-professionals, and professionals
    5. Festivals - dance: mixed level students, hobbyists, semi-professionals, and professionals
    6. Festivals - art/history/music/etc: mixed level hobbyists, semi-professionals, and professionals (students on occasion)

- Paid -

1. Stage Shows - dance: semi-professionals and professionals
    2. Stage shows - workshop: semi-professionals and professionals
    3. Festivals - dance: semi-professionals and professionals
    4. Festivals - art/history/music/etc: semi-professionals and professionals
    5. Restaurants: semi-professionals and professionals
    6. Parties: semi-professionals and professionals
    7. Weddings: semi-professionals and professionals
    8. Gala events: semi-professionals and professionals

I've probably left quite a few things out, but, as you can see, when people say they are ready for performance, you have to clarify which types of performance. At 3 months can a dancer perform in a recital? Of course! Can the dancer perform at an Egyptian wedding? I'd say probably not. None of these are set in stone either. Sometimes a hobbyist gets paid to dance at an event. Sometimes a pro donates a performance to a local hafla or cause. These are just a general idea.

Post Thanks / Like

My situation is similar to Bast's except I'm just passing the 3 month mark. The school had an open house earlier this month and our class was invited to perform. I didn't know the routine and so declined, but have seen a video of my classmates and it was very nice. I plan on taking the class again this fall and will definitely participate if they have another performance as it looked like everyone had a blast and the audience was very supportive.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on what kind of performing. Professional performing would be you know years i'd hope. But if you are talking about non-professional performing i dont think it matters at all as long as the student is ready.

I know my current instructor provides ample performing opportunities for her students they are advertised as student performances, and a student troupe. i heard about them long before meeting her.

Then she also described homework of sorts where she asks students to try to emote a feeling or an element through each of their routines, music , costume.

I dont see how it could be wrong to perform if it is unpaid, and a part of your BD student education. Especially at a student recital.

But i dont think anyone should if they dont feel ready, not nervous, just not ready.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been training/practing for about 6 months now, and honestly, I STILL don't think I'm ready. . .

I think it all depends on the person. If you think you've gotten a lot of practice under your belt, and you think you're ready to perform in front of a decent crowd, I say go for it.

And then there's people like me, who still feel a little "green" and want to get their technique as close to flawless as possible. I plan on performing in student recitals/talent shows no sooner than sometime this upcoming fall (like mid-September maybe)

I personally think that a minimum of 3 months of practice is a decent point to start performing unpaid gigs. But for professional pays gigs at like weddings, showers,etc. . .I'd definately think one would need a few years of practice.

Post Thanks / Like

18 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    18 months.
    me too!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, this is my first post but have been lurking for a few weeks now. I love this board, very educational.

I started dancing a little over two years ago and will be doing my first bd performance (student recital) in two months. I feel ready, for the level of the choreography we're doing now anyway. A previous teacher had invited me to perform after a year of study. I can't imagine having performed after only a few months of study.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast