Brow stencils?

Bast

I am very behind in learning makeup techniques and have only just learned that shading my eyebrows with a pencil and brush makes a big difference.

So I was wondering if anyone has used brow stencils before. Do you need to have very thinly waxed/plucked brows, or can you use them just to define your natural shape shape a little?

Sirène

You don't need to have thin eyebrows to use an eyebrow stencil, however if the shape of the stencil varies a great deal from your natural arch, the only way you're going to achieve the shape is by plucking/waxing and drawing back in.

Actually, I take that back slightly. The late, great make-up artist Kevyn Aucoin has a method for temporarily covering natural eyebrows so that an exotic shape could be drawn. However, it was labor intensive and I'm not sure it would stand up to a dance routine. It was in one of his books... if I can find it I'll post more info.

Crystalllized

I have barely there brows (light hair color) so I use brow stencils to just draw on new ones. I tried shaping them, but since the hair color is so light, I have to draw them in anyway. I don't think you need thin eyebrows, just use the stencil as a guide to filling in the rest of the eyebrow or at least following the same shape.

astro_girl

You know, I also have blond eyebrows so I look like a ghost most days. I had my brows dyed at a nearby beauty school for the first time, and they came out great! Have you heard of this? I mean, I could actually get away w/out mascara and not look half dead...it was that much of an impact.

That being said, I have seen the eyebrow stencils, but never have used them bc none of them would lie directly over all my brow hairs...and I never understood the idea of stenciling over skin. I have used powders and tinted gels for brows, but they can be messy and I often accidentally wipe them off throughout the day.

I was nervous about the tinting bc I have strawberry blond hair, but the beautician mixed a mainly light brown base w/a tinge of red and that did the trick! I'll continue to keep dying so I don't have to deal w/stencilling or pencilling (ha!) every day.

Bast

Thanks everyone for the advice. They are cheap enough that I think it will be worthwhile giving them a go.

Ariadne

Am I the only one who has used mascara on my brows when I want to be sure it will stay in? Normally though I use a combination of pencil and powder. Never tried a stencil.

Mohana

Thanks everyone for the advice. They are cheap enough that I think it will be worthwhile giving them a go.

Please make sure to post how it works for you. I have some of the same makeup issues and was wondering about stencils too.:think: