Pops, Locks & Shimmies - which one???

astro_girl

I've heard a few things about videos with instructional techniques re. pops, locks & shimmies. The 2 that come to mind first are by Sadie/Kaya (they also have a pops, locks & layering) and Michelle Joyce. Which video(s) do you like and why?

jenc

Michelle joyce as always. I have The Sadie and Kaya and it is insanely difficult as far as I am concerned. IN fact I think I will sell it. Life's too short

teela

I second the vote for Michelle Joyce. I have a Sadie's drum solo from years ago and I just don't move in the same way as Sadie. With Michelle's DVD, I can actually do the moves and feel as if it is attainable.

LadyLoba

I've been wondering about this myself. I love Sadie and Kaya as performers, but sometimes watching someone for enjoyment and watching someone to learn are a bit different.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Sadie and Kaya's artistic decisions aside, I really think both of those ladies are excellent teachers.

You will not look like Sadie unless you are Sadie :) And you won't come CLOSE to having her crisp technique until you've practiced the same amount of hours she has :) Just keep that in mind, and be okay with starting as a beginner.

That said, I'm much more a fan of Sadie's drum solo dvds than the Pop Lock and shimmy dvds. I feel like there is actually more content on the drum solo dvds, if you take them slowly and really WORK each combination. Don't expect to do the whole dvd in your practice time -- just work on sections. Also her Ultimate Bellydance dvd is an amazing workout, along with her drills dvd. WOW! Tough, but the results are worth the work.

astro_girl

This is great information - thanks! I had contemplated on ordering her ultimate BD dvd, but before I begin to hoarde videos that I don't possibly have the time to use, I wanted to first be more particular in what I choose. Didn't know that about the drum solo dvds, content-wise. Will see if there's a trailer for those. Do you feel the pop/lock/shimmy dvd contains more "watered down" content compared to the drum solo dvds? Are the teaching styles different?

Also, which drills dvd are you referring to?

TIA!

Brooke :)

Sadie and Kaya's artistic decisions aside, I really think both of those ladies are excellent teachers.

You will not look like Sadie unless you are Sadie :) And you won't come CLOSE to having her crisp technique until you've practiced the same amount of hours she has :) Just keep that in mind, and be okay with starting as a beginner.

That said, I'm much more a fan of Sadie's drum solo dvds than the Pop Lock and shimmy dvds. I feel like there is actually more content on the drum solo dvds, if you take them slowly and really WORK each combination. Don't expect to do the whole dvd in your practice time -- just work on sections. Also her Ultimate Bellydance dvd is an amazing workout, along with her drills dvd. WOW! Tough, but the results are worth the work.

Last edited:

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Do you feel the pop/lock/shimmy dvd is more "watered down" content compared to the drum solo dvds?

Well, I'm prejudiced because I don't really do popping and locking except as brief accents, so to me the dvd was 2 hours of practicing sharp accents, but in a very limited way. (It has been a while since I watched that one, though.)

I felt the drum solo ones show the same attention to sharp accents, but in a more musical way, if that makes any sense.

Are the teaching styles different?

Not really -- both ladies are very clear and concise, and all the dvds do a good job explaining the material. I guess I was just happier with the more varied material on the drum solo dvds.

Also, which drills dvd are you referring to?

Ah, sorry. This one:
OceanStateMedia.com: Sadie - Thrillin' Drillin' DVD Review

with Mala's review attached!