Any interest in sharing a Suhaila.com annual membership?

astro_girl

At the moment, there are 2 of us interested in sharing the cost to access an annual membership to Suhaila Salimpour's reknowned online BD classes. It's $479.40 to access unlimited classes for a year (class offerings rotate over time), and at least one or two more people sharing the cost would make this a much more affordable commitment.

My free trial membership just ended and I'm hooked! I've noticed an increased comfort level w/my zilling and movement in less than a week (Jamila's classes and Suhaila's folkloric fusion classes), and learned more about styles/props that my current teachers don't talk much about such as Khaleegy and dancing w/canes and swords.

The other BDF member who's interested in sharing the online membership is already level 1 certified, which means that we'd also have access to the level 3 classes...if you dare! ;) AFAIK, there's no problem w/accessing the classes at the same time, but there's also the option of downloading many of the classes directly to your computer to view.

If you're not familiar, here's a brief overview of the online classes and a 3 day trial membership at this link:

Online Belly Dance Classes with Suhaila Salimpour - Bellydance Videos

Please reply here and pm me with interest. Unless someone objects, we will plan to have the other member open the account in her name in order that we can user her level 1 cert. to gain access to the level 3 classes.

Brooke ;)

Last edited:

astro_girl

Are you sure this proposal is legal/ethical?

Good question! If it's not, I'll remove this post immediately.

However, I asked the same question of a mod (after first hearing of this idea on here), and was led to believe from the Suhaila business standpoint, this is not a novel idea and it's encouraged that her students group together to work.

Last edited:

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Good question! If it's not, I'll remove this post immediately.

However, I asked the same question (after first hearing of this idea on here), and was led to believe from the Suhaila business standpoint, this is not a novel idea and it's encouraged that her students group together to work.

She told us this even before they were actually officially on line. She is aware of some studios which buy one membership and use the online lessons as classes. They have permission from her to do so. It is expressly prohibited to access another's account WITHOUT PERMISSION from the account-holder.

It is my understanding that the online classes really serve to further her certification program, which is done on an individual basis.

Her current terms are here:

astro_girl

Thanks for filling in this gap, Aziyade!

She told us this even before they were actually officially on line. She is aware of some studios which buy one membership and use the online lessons as classes. They have permission from her to do so. It is expressly prohibited to access another's account WITHOUT PERMISSION from the account-holder.

It is my understanding that the online classes really serve to further her certification program, which is done on an individual basis.

BDanceGirl

At the moment, there are 2 of us interested in sharing the cost to access an annual membership to Suhaila Salimpour's reknowned online BD classes. It's $479.40 to access unlimited classes for a year (class offerings rotate over time), and at least one or two more people sharing the cost would make this a much more affordable commitment.

My free trial membership just ended and I'm hooked! I've noticed an increased comfort level w/my zilling and movement in less than a week (Jamila's classes and Suhaila's folkloric fusion classes), and learned more about styles/props that my current teachers don't talk much about such as Khaleegy and dancing w/canes and swords.

The other BDF member who's interested in sharing the online membership is already level 1 certified, which means that we'd also have access to the level 3 classes...if you dare! ;) AFAIK, there's no problem w/accessing the classes at the same time, but there's also the option of downloading many of the classes directly to your computer to view.

If you're not familiar, here's a brief overview of the online classes and a 3 day trial membership at this link:

Please reply here and pm me with interest. Unless someone objects, we will plan to have the other member open the account in her name in order that we can user her level 1 cert. to gain access to the level 3 classes.

Brooke ;)

I have been looking into this but didnt realize you could share, i would really consider this, i will pm you to find out more

Thanks!

astro_girl

Oh good! There's one more member who is new to BD who might consider, but I think she needs to get through the 3 day trial before deciding.

If it makes anyone more comfortable w/the idea, the business/payment end would be handled through the other person who already agreed to share the membership - someone you all know who's a regular on here.

Kashmir

I'd say if you are asking someone to pay for access to your account you are in breach of 4D:

D. You agree not to use the Website, for any commercial use, without the prior written authorization of Suhaila International. Prohibited commercial uses include any of the following actions taken without Suhaila International's express approval:
sale of access to the Website or its related services on another website;
use of the Website or its related services, for the primary purpose of gaining advertising or subscription revenue;
the sale of advertising on the Suhailaonlineclasses.com website or any third-party website;
and any use of the Website or its related services that Suhaila International finds, in its sole discretion, to use Suhaila International's resources with the effect of competing with or displacing the market for Suhailaonlineclasses.com content.

That is, you are making money off the site which otherwise may have made another sale for Suhaila. Not really different from buying a DVD and making multiple copies for your friends. Worse - selling the copies to your friends.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I'd say if you are asking someone to pay for access to your account you are in breach of 4D:

That is, you are making money off the site which otherwise may have made another sale for Suhaila. Not really different from buying a DVD and making multiple copies for your friends. Worse - selling the copies to your friends.

Nobody is making money off the site when they share an account. They simply split the cost of the membership.

What she does not allow is a studio or teacher (for instance -- because this has come up in conversation because one teacher wanted to do this) to SELL memberships to the site through her personal membership. Not split the cost, but basically to share host the suhaila site on her own website.

Only one login can be active at a time -- 4 people with the same account name cannot log into the system at the same time.

Let me re-state what Suhaila has told our certification pool on at least two occasions:

"Get together a couple of friends and share the cost."

If this is not explicit permission, then I don't know what is.

Kashmir

Let me re-state what Suhaila has told our certification pool on at least two occasions:

Thanks for clarifying that. Very generous of her.

Yame

Thanks for clarifying that. Very generous of her.

It's not just generous, I think it's smart. Allowing people to share a membership like that probably gets her more customers in the end, because a lot of people wouldn't want to or be able to afford the full price tag by themselves.

Plus, most of us know how practicing with a friend can be more fun and more encouraging than practicing alone. It's nice to encourage that kind of practice environment without expecting each person to pay the full price.

If I had my own belly dance "empire" I'd probably do the same.

astro_girl

Aziyade:

I tried to pm you about moving along with this, but the message didn't go through. Would you kindly pm me so we can communicate further about this?

Thanks! :)

Nobody is making money off the site when they share an account. They simply split the cost of the membership.

What she does not allow is a studio or teacher (for instance -- because this has come up in conversation because one teacher wanted to do this) to SELL memberships to the site through her personal membership. Not split the cost, but basically to share host the suhaila site on her own website.

Only one login can be active at a time -- 4 people with the same account name cannot log into the system at the same time.