New and have a personal question

Tarik Sultan

Boy oh, boy,

I never knew my little post would cause such a commotion. I posted my question in the “male dancer's” section because I thought other men posted, and I felt it was a fair question, I was not trying to offend anyone. With that said I'm sorry if I offended anyone. Also I'll try to answer any questions and ease concerns about me being on this forum.

First off I did a privet one on one lesson for a few reasons. 1. I have never done belly dancing before! 2. I figured I could get a better idea of the moves by doing one on one rather than in a class. When I asked about a one on one my teacher suggested tight clothing so she could evaluate my moves better. She said a unitard was okay but than I had my concerns. I did not want to offend her or anyone else so that's why I posted. To be on the safe side I wore a unitard and shorts to cover up and not offend.

First off I'm gay, I'm not on this forum to pick up women. With that said since I'm gay I have a lot of the same interests as women, I exercise to videos, I love fashion, and doing my toe nails.

Yes, my mom has always been athletic and danced for a few years. When she was teaching she had a student, that was a wrestler and suggested my mom try it out.

I do a lot of exercise videos and there a few belly dancing videos around, and I figured I would try it out. Plus I always had a small interest in it.

I had my first session just about an hour a go and it was FABULIOUS!! And I did not to bad.

I would like to thank the good people that have been welcoming and give me a fair chance. I'm hear to post and talk about belly dancing. For the others that don't want me around. Well, I'm sorry you feel that way. However, its a free country and you don't have to like me. Hope I eased any concerns and answered a few questions.

Peace,

Geoff

Yes, but its your latent heterosexual tendencies that has them worried!:lol: On the serious side though, for you and any other guys out there regardless of orientation. You need not be afraid of getting aroused. Seriously, If you're really dancing, that's not where the blood is going to be rushing to.

Last edited:

jenc

I apologise _ I guess being gay you wouldn't realise how many wierdo boxes you ticked. As I said I will apologise and I have no problems with talking to anyone about BD until the cows come home

Taslin

It's not such an odd question; I've had more than one student concerned about leotards revealing whether or not she was feeling chilled.

I have this problem at times, i but didn't feel comfortable to post it right away. And in typical fashion alot of men assume women are "excited" when this happens. NO. I personally am just cold.

I actual have little rubber disks called "dimmers" <the actual brand name. they mold around your area and body heat kinda keeps them in place. they totally are great for summer styles, night club clothing, etc.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Glad to hear that you enjoyed your lesson! I hope you will keep at it and keep posting here. :)

I know a few people who took private lessons first because they were insecure taking group classes or had other reasons for taking private lessons.

khanjar

Boy oh, boy,

I never knew my little post would cause such a commotion. I posted my question in the “male dancer's” section because I thought other men posted, and I felt it was a fair question, I was not trying to offend anyone. With that said I'm sorry if I offended anyone. Also I'll try to answer any questions and ease concerns about me being on this forum.

Relax, it can be kind of touchy around here from time to time, and a reason why I dissappear from the forums now and again.

First off I did a privet one on one lesson for a few reasons. 1. I have never done belly dancing before! 2. I figured I could get a better idea of the moves by doing one on one rather than in a class. When I asked about a one on one my teacher suggested tight clothing so she could evaluate my moves better. She said a unitard was okay but than I had my concerns. I did not want to offend her or anyone else so that's why I posted. To be on the safe side I wore a unitard and shorts to cover up and not offend.

First off I'm gay, I'm not on this forum to pick up women. With that said since I'm gay I have a lot of the same interests as women, I exercise to videos, I love fashion, and doing my toe nails.

Ooh eck, I do that too, but I am not gay, my reason is many male feet are just manky, dancing barefoot, well the things are on show.

Yes, my mom has always been athletic and danced for a few years. When she was teaching she had a student, that was a wrestler and suggested my mom try it out.

I do a lot of exercise videos and there a few belly dancing videos around, and I figured I would try it out. Plus I always had a small interest in it.

I had my first session just about an hour a go and it was FABULIOUS!! And I did not to bad.

I would like to thank the good people that have been welcoming and give me a fair chance. I'm hear to post and talk about belly dancing. For the others that don't want me around. Well, I'm sorry you feel that way. However, its a free country and you don't have to like me. Hope I eased any concerns and answered a few questions.

Peace,

Geoff

As I said before, welcome, and I am pleased you enjoyed your initiation into ME dance.

As to the little worry, I know it is a worry, but it can be controlled, for the mind is very strong when you train it to be so. I did at the first when I started this dance, use it for moving meditation and used the movement as the focus for the meditation. Therefore I can move technically correct, but my problem is sequences and timing, my next area to focus on now I have the technicalities of the movement and it has become quite natural.

But without a wish to delve deeper into the subject of sensation, I would just wish to say one last word and that is sensation varies with males due to a medical procedure undertaken at a young age, perhaps originally for that very reason, as there is much on the web as to why this barbaric practice was carried out beyond a real medical need.

Sirène

I actual have little rubber disks called "dimmers" <the actual brand name. they mold around your area and body heat kinda keeps them in place. they totally are great for summer styles, night club clothing, etc.

omg... they do exist :shok: ... :lol:

This happens to me all the time, but I've never really cared. To those who are crass enough to bring it up in conversation I always reply, "Is there a reason your eyes are there instead of on my face?" :naghty:

Greek Bonfire

I apologise _ I guess being gay you wouldn't realise how many wierdo boxes you ticked. As I said I will apologise and I have no problems with talking to anyone about BD until the cows come home

This - we get a lot of stuff on bellydance fora as well as in real life so we tend to get a little cautious and defensive. Plus we don't know you very well. I do hope you will feel welcome to keep posting on this site and other sites.

NewDancer

Hi Ladies,

Sorry, or not posting but I have been away for a few days and I go back home on Tuesday. I'm glad I was able to clear up everything for the most part. If anyone has any questions about me please ask and I'll do my best to answer. Anyway, I'm glad everything is good and we can talk about dancing.

Like I said my mom did belly dancing for a while and it kind of sparked an interest. Anyway, I got into exercise videos and right now have about 160 videos. I was looking over some stuff and saw Kathy Smith had a video and it re ignited my interest, and I decided to do a one on one to get a better idea.

My first lesson was Thursday, and it was a lot of fun!! My teacher had me do a lot of basic shoulder, arm, and hip movement, and than we moved on to some basic steps. She said I did a good job considering I have never done any belly dancing before. The lesson was $35.00 for one hour, and I intend to continue. Probably once every two weeks for now till I feel ready to take a class.

Geoff