What kind of shimmy?

MariaAZ

I saw a dancer doing a shimmy that involves lifting the hip upward, but using the muscle on the side of the waist and contracting the glute while both feet are firmly planted and the knees kept fairly still. It is a lot more subtle of a move than the shimmy driven by the knees. Does this move sound familiar, and if so what is it called? I've been trying to do it but can't seem to contract the side muscle, so was hoping to find a tutorial on Youtube.

Kashmir

I saw a dancer doing a shimmy that involves lifting the hip upward, but using the muscle on the side of the waist and contracting the glute while both feet are firmly planted and the knees kept fairly still. It is a lot more subtle of a move than the shimmy driven by the knees. Does this move sound familiar, and if so what is it called? I've been trying to do it but can't seem to contract the side muscle, so was hoping to find a tutorial on Youtube.
Personally, my default shimmy is a lift with the lateral flexors (waist & QLs). So I just call it "shimmy" :)

And yes, you can contract your side muscles - unless you cannot do a side bend at all. Try it. Back against the wall; legs widish; slide your hand down the side of your leg. That's your lateral flexors working.

Now "all" you have to do is use the same muscles but hold your torso fixed rather than your pelvis. To shimmy you need to ensure you are also adjusting slightly inwards so the hips come straight up; relax thighs and glutes (so it is a little different from the one you describe :( ) and parctice

MariaAZ

Kashmir, that certainly sounds like the one I'm looking for! The problem I'm having is engaging that muscle while standing straight. One of the things I love about belly dance is that it uses muscles I never knew I had and don't know how to control :)

It had been explained that the move originates from the side muscles, so I've been working on contracting them, but I seem to be "lateral flexor challenged". I don't have a frame of reference on how to engage the muscles while standing straight, and my control is spotty at best. I'm not even sure if I'm doing it correctly. Any tips on this wonderful shimmy would be greatly appreciated!

ScarlettDancer

I'm pretty darned sure that's it, and the video is exactly what I needed! Thanks :)

Yay! That makes me happy. Spread the technique around. I tell my begineers whenever they feel like they have lost it, just get back on the floor and start wagging. :D

MariaAZ

I'm so new to belly dance that I didn't really realize there is more than one way to do a hip-centered, up and down kind of shimmy :) I was familiar only with the one that is done by bending and straightening the legs. I think that one might be called an Egyptian shimmy.

gypsy

I have been looking for a thread just about shimmies. Is there one? If not, we need one!