Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Too skinny for proper belly rolls?

Help! I'm a beginner to belly dance (approx. 4 months in) and I've been working on my belly rolls but I'm curious if perhaps I'm too thin to excute them well? I realize that you have to isolate your muscles, top, middle, bottom and vice versa, but I actually have very toned abs. They're so toned that when I flex the top, you can't help but see the bottom tense and there is really little movement.

In anyone's expert opinion, is it possible to be too toned to make these look good? I look ridiculous! Any feedback would be appreciated

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Nah -- don't worry about your weight

The problem most people have is being able to separate the upper abs from the lower abs. Most people want to think of the abs as one big thing (which they ARE one big group of muscles, but you can focus on one half or the other.)

Instead of focusing on pulling in with the muscles, think of pushing OUT. That's a different exercise and you need to have the control to do both. Think push the top half OUT and then push the bottom half OUT. (Don't worry about looking pot-bellied -- you're only going to stay there for a second.) Then think pull top half IN and pull bottom half IN. And repeat.

A lot of athletes are so used to pulling the abs IN that they forget they can also be pushed OUT.

Try that and see how it goes

Post Thanks / Like

Whew - thank you Aziyade! I know I'm newer to this and everything takes time, but I wasn't sure if it would ever come around for me. I'm not particulary fond of seeing my muscles flex when I do it - I'd rather see a nice slow roll, but I'll keeping working with what I have. Sounds like I just need to keep practicing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MALEX View Post
    Help! I'm a beginner to belly dance (approx. 4 months in) and I've been working on my belly rolls but I'm curious if perhaps I'm too thin to execute them well? I realize that you have to isolate your muscles, top, middle, bottom and vice versa, but I actually have very toned abs. They're so toned that when I flex the top, you can't help but see the bottom tense and there is really little movement.

In anyone's expert opinion, is it possible to be too toned to make these look good? I look ridiculous! Any feedback would be appreciated

Thanks!
    Hi Malex! There's no such thing as being "too thin" for rolls. Thinness/fatness is a function of body fat, and doesn't have anything to do with muscle behavior. Muscles behave the same in everybody regardless of how much body fat you have.

There's also no such thing as being "too toned" to make rolls look good. Belly rolls can be done regardless of whether the abs are strong or weak, though they look better if the abs are strong.

You just need to teach your brain how to communicate with your abs. See this article on my web site: Dear Shira: How Can I Get My Belly to Roll?

Post Thanks / Like

I realize that you have to isolate your muscles, top, middle, bottom and vice versa, but I actually have very toned abs. They're so toned that when I flex the top, you can't help but see the bottom tense and there is really little movement.

Only if by "toned" you mean unable to control them with finesse. And it is important in dance to be able to relax as to contract. One without the other is useless - you can't shimmy, you can't undulate and you can't do belly rolls.

But the big part is finesse - "delicate manipulation, subtle discrimination". You have to learn to just engage the top - if you see the bottom tense - then you are not just engaging the top. Practice with awareness. Go for three perfect isolations rather than 100 sloppy ones. Your skill will grow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    Only if by "toned" you mean unable to control them with finesse. And it is important in dance to be able to relax as to contract. One without the other is useless - you can't shimmy, you can't undulate and you can't do belly rolls.

But the big part is finesse - "delicate manipulation, subtle discrimination". You have to learn to just engage the top - if you see the bottom tense - then you are not just engaging the top. Practice with awareness. Go for three perfect isolations rather than 100 sloppy ones. Your skill will grow.
    Aha, so I'm NOT isolating the different parts! And the best way to learn to isolate is just to flex and release repeatedly, repitition?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shiradotnet View Post
    Hi Malex! There's no such thing as being "too thin" for rolls. Thinness/fatness is a function of body fat, and doesn't have anything to do with muscle behavior. Muscles behave the same in everybody regardless of how much body fat you have.

There's also no such thing as being "too toned" to make rolls look good. Belly rolls can be done regardless of whether the abs are strong or weak, though they look better if the abs are strong.

You just need to teach your brain how to communicate with your abs. See this article on my web site: Dear Shira: How Can I Get My Belly to Roll?
    Shira, I LOVE your site, I've visited it numerous times already and find it to be a great resource. I'll definitely take your advice and work at it. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Aha, so I'm NOT isolating the different parts! And the best way to learn to isolate is just to flex and release repeatedly, repitition?
    You need more than repetition - you need awareness. Try - see if it works. If not, try something slightly different - and watch the result. When you get the right result see if you can repeat it.

How that works varies between people. I start with my students, lying on the floor, pushing in with one hand then pushing against it - while the other hand is above/below. You get a feel for what the other muscles are doing. For some people visualization works.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a trick I was taught by a vocal teacher that I have used when concentrating on isolating my abs. Take a reeeeeally heavy book. Put it on your stomach. When you suck in the muscle you will be able to see and feel the book drop. When you push the muscle out it will rise. By using a heavy book you not only get instant feedback you are creating muscle memory. Also you don't have to tense your hand and arm muscles to create resistance and can completely isolate the stomach muscles. If you need to separate the two sections even more use two stacks of books, one on the upper and one on the lower abs. I like to place my hands behind my head where I know they won't be used at all and just watch.

(Man I have got to get back to practicing that. I'm becoming nostalgic.)
    <- sick again...

Post Thanks / Like

You can also use your hands (put one on upper abs, the other on lower abs) to feel if you are isolating properly. When you get to the point where you can isolate your abs into 2 parts (upper and lower), your belly rolls will start looking like belly rolls. Eventually you can start separating your abs into more than just 2 sections, too, for more defined rolls.

Some people can belly roll naturally, for others it takes weeks, for others it takes months to learn. Months of DAILY practice. Awareness helps, natural ability helps, and practice is a must. How much you weigh shouldn't matter... look at Rachel Brice, a dancer known for her belly rolls. Very thin, very toned and athletic, but with some of the biggest and most defined belly rolls out there. There are tons of other thin dancers who can belly roll beautifully.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast