Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ick. Do not like.

Post Thanks / Like

I love phaoronic arms in BD!

I used to cringe as well, and think here we go "its walk like an egyptian time", but now i looove them on me when i dance. Ive seen it look so cliche'd or tacky, but when i see myself use them they suit me well at times.

But i already look like a cliche when i dance so i guess im just embracing it,hehehe.

Post Thanks / Like

I like them when used judiciously, as a starting pose, or as a support for a flipped veil before transitioning to another move. Overuse, however, gets tedious.

My pet peeve is performers who don't smile! I realise grinning like a mad woman all the way through looks equally daft, but I'm sick of dancers who come on stage looking like they're having teeth pulled.

Also dangerous costumes. The type where you can't remember what their dance was like, or even what they were dancing to, because all you could concentrate on was the nagging fear that that boob is going to escape aany minute

Post Thanks / Like

When a costume doesn't fit right. Wear the size costume for your body type. All body types are appealing so long as their cossies fit!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LilithNoor View Post
    My pet peeve is performers who don't smile! I realise grinning like a mad woman all the way through looks equally daft, but I'm sick of dancers who come on stage looking like they're having teeth pulled.
    There is a place for facial expressions other than smiling at the beginning of a performance - I've used a scowly/haughty expression in this peformance's entrance (not that you can see it in the video due to the camrea angle) to give weight to a very long intro and make the audience wonder if I was going to dance for them or not. (in that instance, of course it helps to go out there with a mindset that says exactly the same thing. In this case I wasn't certain that I was going to dance for them, but they behaved so I opened up my heart, smiled and danced).

I think the key is knowing when to use facial expression to add drama to a performance. Too much and the audience thinks you hate them, too little & they wonder if they're voyeurs!
    Wild and free my effing arse! Use another word!

Post Thanks / Like

Darshiva- agreed. I do a solo to a very slow, sad song, and it would look really silly to be smiling away while the singers goes on about her broken heart and the cruelty of her lover. And a lot of rom and tribal fusion lends itself to a very haughty expression.

I think dancers need to ensure that whatever faces they do make convey the right emotion, and that's not happening locally at the moment. Unless, of course, there's a trend for looking like you just remembered you left the iron on and you can;t wait to go home and check.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gisela View Post
    And something about turns. I see many intermediate dancers turning in an ungraceful way. Like almost jumping around, with a big level change.
    I think I know what you're talking about. People who can't spin without bopping up and down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    There is a place for facial expressions other than smiling at the beginning of a performance - I've used a scowly/haughty expression ...!
    I wish I could look regally, beautifully haughty, but I end up looking either like I'm thinking of taking an ax to someone or like I have a very terrible pain somewhere that is about to do me in right on stage.

Post Thanks / Like

A skimpy costume, or a tacky cheap tourist costume. Even the most expensive designer costume is awful to look at if you wonder if a costume malfunction is going to happen.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the opposite problem with facial expressions...my face looks normal when I have a neutral to serious expression, but when I purposely smile while dancing or being photographed I either look like I just split something Im wearing or like I'm on drugs.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast