Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: umi hip circle

Post Thanks / Like

Default umi hip circle

I was just wondering ,what is an umi hip circle?

thankx so much

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Miss Shimmy, There was a thread in "Dance Styles" about this very subject.
    Do you want to know what it is? Or how to do it?
    From my understanding the omi(umi,ami) is a small internal pelvic circle originally seen in Polynesian dance. It's one of those fusion moves that looks right at home in Oriental Dance. It's interesting, that when we teach the basic hip circle most if not all of the students perfom the omi. And when we teach the omi thay find it difficult. Go figure. Does Rachel Brice demonstrate omi's in her Yoga drills DVD?
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Default ah

ah ha!!!I think I know the one you mean..yes she does..I will skip into dance styles.

thankyou yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Miss Shimmy, I was at Borders Bookstore today w/ my daughter and saw Rachel's DVD. They also had the latest BDSS Vol. IV and Desert Roses Vol. IV.
    Somebody may have asked this before, but is her DVD a good buy? Do you see and feel any difference after consistent use? Thanks.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi yasmine

hi there

well,ok,for me yes I love it.though of course it depends what you want from it.some feel theres too much yoga and not enough dance,for me I feel Rachel has brought a perfect balance of the 2.
    so you know,for me it has all I want plus a bit.I love it.
    feel free to ask more about it,I am certainly happy to share.

by the way Yasmine,I love your website,the staff look adorable,I homeschool my children too

Last edited by miss_shimmy; 12-30-2006 at 12:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you liked the site. I have enough dance videos, so maybe the Yoga drills my be what I'm looking for. I've been practicing a few yoga poses but I'm looking for movements that would benefit dancers as well as maintain strength and flexibility too. I already practiced the drills you posted earlier I really like the structure and mental concentration too.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

'alo 'alo - I like it too

Yasmine you probably already know everything on there but it's such an intense breakdown I'd bet even an advanced dancer would like to have it.

Anytime I feel lost with a move or like I'm slopping it up that's the DVD I go to.

Post Thanks / Like

Default yes

I totally agree with you there Gabi

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default umi hip circle?how do you do this?

umi hip circle?how do you do this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yasmine Bint Al Nubia View Post
    Hi Miss Shimmy, There was a thread in "Dance Styles" about this very subject.
    Do you want to know what it is? Or how to do it?
    From my understanding the omi(umi,ami) is a small internal pelvic circle originally seen in Polynesian dance. It's one of those fusion moves that looks right at home in Oriental Dance. It's interesting, that when we teach the basic hip circle most if not all of the students perfom the omi. And when we teach the omi thay find it difficult. Go figure. Does Rachel Brice demonstrate omi's in her Yoga drills DVD?
    Yasmine

I think the word omi comes from the Polynesian genre; however, the move is authentically Egyptian as well. As A'isha often says, there are few moves truly unique on only one kind of dance.

Almost all the Egyptian dancers do omis -- From Samia to Fifi to Sohair to Randa and almost everyone in the middle. I can't think of an Egyptian dancer that I *haven't* seen do this move.

Sedonia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast