umi hip circle

Hi Miss Shimmy, There was a thread in "Dance Styles" about this very subject.:)
Do you want to know what it is? Or how to do it?
From my understanding the omi(umi,ami) is a small internal pelvic circle originally seen in Polynesian dance. It's one of those fusion moves that looks right at home in Oriental Dance. It's interesting, that when we teach the basic hip circle most if not all of the students perfom the omi. And when we teach the omi thay find it difficult. Go figure. Does Rachel Brice demonstrate omi's in her Yoga drills DVD?
Yasmine

Hi Miss Shimmy, I was at Borders Bookstore today w/ my daughter and saw Rachel's DVD. They also had the latest BDSS Vol. IV and Desert Roses Vol. IV.
Somebody may have asked this before, but is her DVD a good buy? Do you see and feel any difference after consistent use? Thanks.:D
Yasmine

miss_shimmy

Hi yasmine

hi there :)

well,ok,for me yes I love it.though of course it depends what you want from it.some feel theres too much yoga and not enough dance,for me I feel Rachel has brought a perfect balance of the 2.
so you know,for me it has all I want plus a bit.I love it.
feel free to ask more about it,I am certainly happy to share.:)

by the way Yasmine,I love your website,the staff look adorable,I homeschool my children too :)

:) :) :)

Last edited:
I'm glad you liked the site. I have enough dance videos, so maybe the Yoga drills my be what I'm looking for. I've been practicing a few yoga poses but I'm looking for movements that would benefit dancers as well as maintain strength and flexibility too. I already practiced the drills you posted earlier I really like the structure and mental concentration too.
Yasmine

Gabi

'alo 'alo - I like it too :D

Yasmine you probably already know everything on there but it's such an intense breakdown I'd bet even an advanced dancer would like to have it.

Anytime I feel lost with a move or like I'm slopping it up that's the DVD I go to.

sedoniaraqs

Hi Miss Shimmy, There was a thread in "Dance Styles" about this very subject.:)
Do you want to know what it is? Or how to do it?
From my understanding the omi(umi,ami) is a small internal pelvic circle originally seen in Polynesian dance. It's one of those fusion moves that looks right at home in Oriental Dance. It's interesting, that when we teach the basic hip circle most if not all of the students perfom the omi. And when we teach the omi thay find it difficult. Go figure. Does Rachel Brice demonstrate omi's in her Yoga drills DVD?
Yasmine

I think the word omi comes from the Polynesian genre; however, the move is authentically Egyptian as well. As A'isha often says, there are few moves truly unique on only one kind of dance.

Almost all the Egyptian dancers do omis -- From Samia to Fifi to Sohair to Randa and almost everyone in the middle. I can't think of an Egyptian dancer that I *haven't* seen do this move.

Sedonia

sedoniaraqs

Or you could just read all the detailed replies to your inquiry on bhuz, and watch all the youtube video clips that were posted to illustrate all the highly detailed descriptions of the move that were so generously already provided to you once.

Just a suggestion. Oh the other hand, I'm sure there's a polynesian dance discussion board out there with lots more generous people who will spend 45 minutes of their precious time typing out answers to your questions that you won't read and advice you won't take.

Sedonia

rita1969

Banned
To sedoniaraqs

I am takibng advice from people on the othrt board ok.
Im also taking notes and putting them in my notebook that way when I need
to know something I can look them up.
I bellydance years ago,im just getting back into it now.I find the harder belly dance moves eaiser to do.If i need to know soimeting i will ask questions.I
live in a town with 300 people in it.

Souzan

I am takibng advice from people on the othrt board ok.
Im also taking notes and putting them in my notebook that way when I need
to know something I can look them up.
I bellydance years ago,im just getting back into it now.I find the harder belly dance moves eaiser to do.If i need to know soimeting i will ask questions.I
live in a town with 300 people in it.

Rita, many dancers who live in small towns get face time with instructors by traveling for private lessons and going to workshops. Workshops are held all over the country (including Arizona, where you said you live) and involve 2-3 days of classes of master teachers with performances in the evening. There are also belly dance camps held in various areas of the country. Dancers live, eat, and take classes together for 4-5 days. Total immersion belly dance.

You've mentioned a couple of times that the most difficult moves are the easiest for you, but you are asking questions about very, very basic things like dance posture. That tells me that may not completely understand the more complex moves and so are not executing them the proper way.

I spent time writing a thoughtful message to you on Bhuz about the nature of middle eastern dance and why it is so necessary to have a mentor and have no idea if you read it or not. But if not, please go back there and read it.

Souzan

rita1969

Banned
RE;

Thank you for the reply,I can get an instructor on the computer,I personally
dont think I have to takes classess to learn.
Even my husband agrees with me.I have 6 months of belly dancing.
My goal is to be advance and i will;
I can and will learn bellydance without classess.Thats my opion.Ill read what you wrote on bhuz.com.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Thank you for the reply,I can get an instructor on the computer,I personally
dont think I have to takes classess to learn.
Even my husband agrees with me.I have 6 months of belly dancing.
My goal is to be advance and i will;
I can and will learn bellydance without classess.Thats my opion.Ill read what you wrote on bhuz.com.

Of course your husband agrees with you. He probably dotes on you. Do you honestly think he KNOWS anything about this dance?

Unless your husband is Hossam Ramzy or Yousry Sharif, it's expected that he's going to tell you that you're the best dancer he's seen, you don't need lessons and so forth. That's what husbands DO!