Yes!!! I've finally scheduled my first performance!!

Yame

On another note...

How great that you've found a suitable performance opportunity! I hope it goes well for you!

Since you said the family is very religious (I assume, Christian?), here's a thought for you to consider: why not introduce your talent as being a "dance style from the Holy Land" that you've been studying?

Lots of people THINK they know what belly dancing is, but what they THINK/ASSUME is that it's "seducing the Sultan". By using a different term to introduce your performance, you'll set a very different expectation, and therefore may get a much more positive response.

When I read this last week, I didn't really like this kind of spin. I still don't because as an atheist, I think it would be misleading for me to advertise my dancing as a dance of the Holy Land, however, this weekend something reminded me of it.

I performed at a senior club and brought my grandma (who is a very religious Catholic and goes to church multiple times a week) who was visiting to watch me perform for the first time. I was a bit nervous about dancing for a crowd composed almost entirely of older people, who come from a time when this type of dancing was considered much more risqué here than it is nowadays... still, I gave everybody the benefit of the doubt and wore a "normal" costume (my normal costumes aren't very revealing, so by some belly dancers' standards it was quite conservative) and danced a drum solo without holding myself back out of fear of people's perceptions... and it was one of my best-received performances yet! If you want to see what it looked like, here is the video for reference: YouTube - ‪Yame Performs to Drum Solo‬‏

I also did a Khaliji piece... with the full thobe and an introduction explaining what they were about to see. I didn't just assume they'd hate it because it's an Arab Gulf dance done to weird music. I danced it because I am a Middle Eastern dancer, and this is what I do. There were other dancers as well and this was my way of adding variety to the show.
I actually thought they'd be more open to the Khaliji piece since I was so covered and did no visible hipwork, but although they enjoyed that piece as well, they wanted more of the belly dance stuff...

Well, in any case, back to what I was originally going to say, at the end of the show my grandma (who, again, is very religious, although she has become more open-minded with time) was very happy with what she saw. She talked about references in the Bible to dancing, and said this is how she believes people danced in biblical times. Although no, people didn't do raqs sharqi in biblical times, with two-piece bedleh and a veil entrance and the whole nine yards, I could see what she was talking about. She was talking about the roots and essence of the dance, the hipwork, which probably existed at that place and time. I found it interesting that she made that connection on her own, especially considering the fact that she doesn't like liturgical dancing and can't stand churches that feature fun music and dancing... :lol:

Last edited:

LadyFatima

Possible song choices for my performance

*takes a deep breath*

Okay, after several weeks of indecisive-ness on my part, I've finally managed to narrow down possible songs to dance to my first performance.

I actually have 3 picked out, but I couldn't find the MP3 for the third song on youtube:confused: So I only have the first 2 choices.
I'd really like for everyone to listen to these and tell me what you think of them :D

This first one is from a group called 'Alkemx'. It's more of a jazz-fusion type song, which is awesome for me, because I really want to do a fusion style dance:dance: I first heard this song back when I was in junior high (the song came out in 2004 I believe.) It has a drum beat that I really like. It's very earthy and unique, I've never heard a song like this in my life!:dance: Take a listen and tell me what you think of it (and remember, think "fusion dance".)

This next one is an oldie but a goodie: "Aziza" by Hossam Ramzy. I ADOOOOORE this song:clap: (just as a sidebar, I was going to post the actual MP3 for this song, but I just love this video so much, I figured I'd post that instead:lol: It's essentially the same version I plan to use, it's just modified a bit for the video.) If I dance to this song, I'll do an Egyptian style dance instead.

Also, please keep in mind that my audience is mostly unfamiliar with Middle Eastern dance, and I've tried to take that into account by chosing instrumental songs.
If I EVER find the audio for the 3rd song I'll post it later on. . .still working on that. . .:think:

Thanks for any/all words of advice and encouragement!!:)

Bast

Definitely Aziza! I believe it would capture your audience's interest from the beginning while the other one doesn't seem to have much to really get into.

I think the upbeat and energetic feel of Aziza would be great for first performance.

LadyFatima

Okay, so my feelings got a bit hurt when people didn't care for the first song. . .:(

I really love it, and I've practiced to it more than I have to Aziza (I guess I just see something in it but others don't. . .:lol:) but hey, I asked for it and I respect everyone's opinions and personal taste. I just like to think that music wise, songs for belly dancing go beyond just Arabic and Middle Eastern genres. . .:think:

I was also thinking that for an audience that is more familiar with Middle Eastern culture and music (basically people on this forum lol), naturally Aziza would be a prefered choice. But for an audience who's taste doesn't go much farther than jazz and R&B, I figured that I'd start off a bit slow instead of jumping right into it, you know?

This is so hard!!!
It's frustrating because when I played the two songs for my immediate family, they liked the first one better. But on here, I get the exact OPPOSITE response. . .:rolleyes:

Oh well, I'll take all opinions into account and put more thought into it. I suppose it goes without saying that all final decisions rest with me anyway, right?:dance:

Anyway, you all can still keep voicing your personal opinions if you want.

Yame

I was also thinking that for an audience that is more familiar with Middle Eastern culture and music (basically people on this forum lol), naturally Aziza would be a prefered choice. But for an audience who's taste doesn't go much farther than jazz and R&B, I figured that I'd start off a bit slow instead of jumping right into it, you know?
You know, that first song isn't really a song that the "mainstream" public would enjoy, either. Don't take this the wrong way, it's not a bad thing to have taste in music that isn't mainstream. Most of the music I love isn't mainstream, so if I say something is mainstream it's really not a validation or compliment on my part ;)

Here is the thing, LadyFatima... do you really think that lowly of Middle Eastern music that you automatically assume your public will hate it before you even introduce them to it, yet you give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to a random, strange song (the first song you posted) they will surely have never heard before, either? This is what I don't understand.

It is perfectly fine for you to love that song, and it's perfectly fine for you to dance to it on your own. But if you're doing a belly dance performance and giving your audience their first taste of a Middle Eastern dance, why resist so much the natural choice which is Middle Eastern music? And on top of that, resist it with an option that will probably sound equally strange and foreign if not more so?

I am sure your family has diverse tastes in music and everything, and no matter what you pick someone will really like the music and someone will really dislike it. This goes for almost any song you pick, including Aziza. Gee, it's just Aziza! It's not even hardcore Saidi with a loud whiny mizmar which I can see a full room of Americans disliking... lol :lol:

Even just from the perspective of the pleasantness of each song, I think Aziza would sound more pleasant to the average person in this context, because it's more upbeat and fun.

Daimona

I'm sorry you are disappointed, but you asked for our opinions. ;)

Okay, I'll give you a couple of arguments (or advice, if you prefer) you probably haven't thought of (or asked for) yet:

IMHO the first song is ok for lounging and relaxing, but dancewise I'd be bored (both if I were the dancer myself or in the audience. As an audience member I'd be bored unless the dancer had been amazing enough to catch my attention).

Aziza, OTOH, has many more shifts in rhythms and melody which both makes it more interesting to listen to and dance to. These shifts gives you more clues on what to do that will fit the music when dancing and will help you keep the audience interested in your performance while you perform. Yes, I know you are relatively new to both the dance and performing and that you may find the first one easier to work with when you practice as it is more close to music you're already familiar with, but these are still things to consider when you preper yourself. Also, if you need tip on what to do various places in the song, you'll find a ton of inspiration from other dancers interpretations for Aziza. On the other one? Probably not that much..

These are just at couple of cents from me.. After all, it is your performance and your decision...

Last edited:

Yame

Aziza, OTOH, has many more shifts in rhythms and melody which both makes it more interesting to listen to and dance to. These shifts gives you more clues on what to do that will fit the music when dancing and will help you keep the audience interested in your performance while you perform. Yes, I know you are relatively new to both the dance and performing and that you may find the first one easier to work with when you practice as it is more close to music you're already familiar with, but these are still things to consider when you preper yourself.

Well said. I had this in mind as well when I said even the audience will probably prefer Aziza, but you expressed it much better than I.

LadyFatima

While I respect your personal ideas and opinions, I'm slowing starting to think that asking for outside opinions wasn't such a hot idea afterall. . .:wall:

I've always had this bad habit of not trusting my gut instinct about my own thoughts and ideas. Instead of doing what pleases me most, I have to constantly second guess myself. . .that little voice in the back of my head just takes over:mad:

I just consider this to be a valuable lesson: sometimes it's just easier/okay to keep things to myself than feel the compulsion to share with others.:think:
It's really a win/win situation.

I truly blame no one but myself. :)

Last edited:

Daimona

While I respect your personal ideas and opinions, I'm slowing starting to think that asking for outside opinions wasn't such a hot idea afterall. . .:wall:

Please don't bang your head.

By asking others you may get input for aspects you might have forgotten to think about yourself.
You still have to assess the input you get to see how valuable and applicable it may be to your situation, if at all.

Remember, it is still your performance and your decision. :)

Last edited:

LadyFatima

Please don't bang your head.

By asking others you may get input for aspects you might have forgotten to think about yourself.
You still have to assess the input you get to see how valuable and applicable it may be to your situation, if at all.

Remember, it is still your performance and your decision. :)

Thank you for saying that, and trust me I fully understand.

I just now thought of a crazy idea: performing to the first song anyway, just to prove that it's not as "boring" as everyone may perceive it to be; to prove that I have the perfect dance routine to go with it that can make it just as upbeat and fun as Aziza.

Afterall, like people have been saying all this time, it's all about the actual performance right? You can't get the full idea just from listening to a song, you know?
I think that's why some people are so biased against my music choices. . .:think: (didn't realize that).

I'm a very creative person, I wouldn't have chosen EITHER song if I didn't already know how I planned to express the flow of the music through my dance:dance:

Just wait and see ladies. . . .

Taslin

I'm totally waiting and anticipating, in a positive way. Im excited for this first experience for you and cant wait to see what you put together.

LadyFatima

I'm totally waiting and anticipating, in a positive way. Im excited for this first experience for you and cant wait to see what you put together.

Thank you very much!:D

That's very sweet of you to say. I'm looking forward to this as well. Nervous and anxious. . .yet excited.:lol:

It feels really good to know I have people who want me to do well. It makes me want to practice even harder so I won't disappoint.

My spidey-senses are tingling. . .this is definitely going to be good!:dance:

LadyFatima

Did this happen yet or at all? how did it go if so :0)

Oh yes, yes!
It went very well, thank you!:D

(Let me just say how completely foolish I feel for not posting how my performance went earlier. . .I mean this all happened nearly 3 months ago and I'm just now updating my own thread about it. . .:rolleyes: )

But anywho, yes, even though I was terribly nervous and much of that 4 and a half minutes remains a blur. . .it was received by my family members very well, and I got lots of compliments.

There was lots of smiling, clapping, I caught a glimpse of my parents laughing and smiling and I even got a couple of my relatives to dance along:dance:

Apparently, a lot of my relatives were shocked to see me belly dancing (because I'm usually pretty shy and reserved so they had no idea about my "hidden talents":cool:

I chose to dance to "Aziza" by Hossam Ramzy.

I've been practicing whenever I can since then, but unfortunately I haven't been presented with another opprotunity to "strut my stuff." I'm back at school now and work around campus is that there is going to be a talent show in the spring. . .:cool: I have to find out more information about auditions and meeting times and stuff, but hopefully if this really goes through I'll get to perform in front of an even BIGGER audience!!

(I've already gotten blessings from a few of my female Arab-Muslim buddies as well:lol:)

Next time I PROMISE not to be such a slacker and actually post the results of my performances ASAP.

Taslin

Thanks for the update!

I'm glad it was a postive experience, i was hoping it would be.Sounds like your family and friends are going to be supportive, and were impressed:clap:

If anything now you can have some confidence under your belt because you have the performance experience...getting people to get up and dance with you is a great feat for a first performance IMO.

Yay! Its all uphill from here.

I wasnt able to get my first BD performance opportunity that i thought i would. My work interfered with the commitment to attend rehearsals (maybe even the performance). Boo.