Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sirčne View Post
    Ooo, interesting idea (and a great excuse to buy zills! ) Wish I could also buy a mirror.
    Do buy a mirror. You can probably find light, cheap ones at Home Depot. They won't be so wide that you'll be able to see everything (you won't be able to see your arms when they are out to the sides, for example, and you will lose your reflection if you start traveling to the sides), but it's way, way better than nothing. At least you can see your posture, legs, and movements more accurately when you are standing in place, and you can play around with your distance from the mirror to be able to see more or less.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yame View Post
    Do buy a mirror. You can probably find light, cheap ones at Home Depot. They won't be so wide that you'll be able to see everything (you won't be able to see your arms when they are out to the sides, for example, and you will lose your reflection if you start traveling to the sides), but it's way, way better than nothing. At least you can see your posture, legs, and movements more accurately when you are standing in place, and you can play around with your distance from the mirror to be able to see more or less.
    I get dragged to HD pretty often (), so I'll take a look next time I'm there.

Post Thanks / Like

When I first started dancing I bought three of the long skinny mirrors that get mounted on the back of doors. I propped them up side by side against the fireplace while I practiced, and when I was done I stashed them behind one of the bedroom doors. They do help and didn't require a major cash outlay or redecorating.

For me, getting the major move down is important before adding the "dressing". I practice with my arms in a relaxed pose but not just hanging limp by my sides (usually resting on my hips). This way my arms get used to being in some kind of pose, but it's not one that I have to actively pay attention to. Once the core move is good I experiment with arms, and once that's cohesive I add extras like traveling or height changes.

Everyone learns differently, but if I don't add a little bit at a time and focus on each part then it becomes a mash up of poorly executed parts. Also, realize that some things will come quickly to you and others will take work. You might have some areas on the DVD that take you longer to master and some you get right away, but that's completely normal.

Post Thanks / Like

As many of the ladies already stated or alluded to, you're training your brain to layer different moves on top of each other...although it might not be a walking 3/4 down, etc. One of my instructors is very good about starting out slowly and getting us to focus on just ONE move at a time so that we eventually don't have to think about the mechanics of the other things (i.e. arms, posture, hands, etc.) when moving. For some people it just takes longer to get certain moves or combos...not a big deal IMHO. Just keep working on it...muscle memory will eventually kick in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12