Spade Dancer's Costume

SpadeDancer

Hello.

So I'm having a bit of an issue with the fabric I need for a loincloth style 'skirt' I want to go with a gothic/cyberpunk loin cloth but the fabric I have doesn't seem to lay right. It is either too tightly woven, or too light... Not sure.

The fabric I'm using is a simple, black cotton that is woven, not knit. Should I be using a knit? If woven is okay, what sort of hand [feel of the fabric] should it have?

Last edited by a moderator:

da Sage

I'm not 100% sure I understand the problem...but maybe you need to line the fabric to make it lie/flow the right way?

SpadeDancer

The problem is that the fabric hangs weird, like it may be starched but it's not... Perhaps its simply a bad fabric for what I want....

I will work on getting a drawing together.

Daimona

If it is too stiff: Have you tried to wash it with fabric softener?

If it is too light: Try putting some weights at the bottom of it and see if it helps. For testing this, you can use almost anything; look around in the house and see if you find small items that temporarily can be attatched to add weight so you can see if this is the problem (such as coins in smal bags pinned to the edge). Shops that sells curtains often sells a weighted band intended for use in curtains. If your fabric need these weights to fall better, this may be a better solution.

Does it stick to whatever you wear beneath it? Line it with a smoother fabric.

Did you plan for a specific shape of it? You may have to use stiffer lining in parts of it (and then with a smoother fabric on the backside). Adding fabric to it will also add weight.

If none of the above applies: Some fabric just don't drape well. In case you give up this particular piece of fabric, go to the fabric store and ask for a fabric that drapes well and bring a drawing of the project.

SpadeDancer

I'm not sure if I've washed the stay out of the fabric or not, I'll give it a go tomorrow.

These are all VERY helpful. If wight is the problem, I've plenty of pennies around the house.

I'm looking for airy flow, but nothing see-through. I'll take into consideration what you mentioned, and come back to this thread if the problem persists.

Jewelly

Many years ago I used cloth diapers. I was getting ready to go on vacation and washed a load of diapers and hung them out on the clothes line to dry and forgot them and left, for two weeks, when I got home they were sooooooooooo soft! So if the fabric is what your looking for try something like that to break down the fibers, and tack it onto a pair of boy shorts instead of tring to cut and fit the loin cloth.

MariaAZ

For soft drape, cotton jersey is nice and not too expensive. The problem I have with any knit is seaming, I always get slight bucking.

If price isn't an issue, raw silk is lovely. The stuff I've seen doesn't have the sheen of finer silks (it's also quite a bit heavier) and drapes like a dream.

SpadeDancer

The problem I have with any knit is seaming, I always get slight bucking.

Are you using a Serger? Knits are supposed to be sewn with a Serger. If you aren't sure what a Serger is and what it does, it's the machine with four spools of thread,two needles [sometimes], and a blade. It cuts the edge of the fabric to get rid of fray, and then does this crazy stitching. Just look at the side seam of a t-shirt.

If you're using a serger, you may need to get it tuned. Every once in a while it gets out of alignment and can cause puckering.

[Three year Fashion Design student here, lol, while I may not know what is best to use for BD, I know quite a bit about the machines, at least.]

MariaAZ

When I was sewing most of my own clothes, sergers were incredibly expensive and so all my work was done on a "regular" machine. My mom bought a serger and I worked on that for awhile, but then got out of sewing. I still kick myself when she offered the machine to me and I declined :wall:

Now that I'm toying with the idea of sewing my own clothes again, that serger sure would come in handy! At least I kept the old Viking my mother gave me 20+ years ago; all steel, a former school machine that only does straight stitch & zigzag, but will sew through ANYTHING, including leather.

SpadeDancer

I'll be making myself a harness or some sort of cropped vest for this, I need it for the mantel I will be making to hold my fans in place when not in use.... Imagine a half circle of feathers on my back, then BAM, turns out they are two fans.

SpadeDancer

Sergers are essential for sewing. I need to pull mine out again... You CAN sew knits with a regular machine, but you need a BALL POINT NEEDLE else the needle will rip the fibers as it sews, and will eventually lead to tearing along the seams.... Not good when you need a structurally strong garment.

I am currently washing my fabrics with woolite to see if it will help their hang. All woven, different weights to them though. One is simply a simple pillow case type [100count cotton] Second is a heavy but awesome table cloth, and the third is a pin striped button up shirt material... I would say borderline sheer/light weight.

Shanazel

I've been sewing for 40+ years without a serger. Decided I'd rather put my money into other things and have gotten by beautifully, though I certainly see the value of those machines.

Instead of pennies, go to the upholstery section of the fabric store and look for cloth covered chain used in the bottom of curtains. You can cut it to any length and it works beautifully to add weight at the hem.

I just noticed you are from Billings. I live about five hours south of you. Who do you dance with up there?

Daimona

Oh, the coins were just for testing if the fabric needed to be weighted and thus whether he needs to buy that curtain thing or not. ;)

SpadeDancer

My Shaker Belt

So, a shaker belt is my term for the belt that shows you're shaking your hips... Here's mine. I took apart two Concho belts, and a ring-scarf belt. I made a bunch of black connections and brought them all together. The ovals are paired up, so there is one in front and back, for better shake weight. Lions were gold, so I spray painted them... I think I will try and find a way to take the gold plating off.

Unfortunately my cam is dead, so I had to use my phone's...

HOPE YOU ALL ENJOY!!!

SpadeDancer

Front Piece For My First Costume

So this pic is when it was pretty much complete, minus the elastic waist band. It's not crooked at the top, I just took the photo at an angle, and being my cam is dead, I had to use my phone's...

Black panel is made from a cool table cloth, and the silver panel is made from a brocade table runner. I'm not quite sure if I like the silver panel or not. I may take it apart to point the end like the black panel.

This piece fits under my hip scarf, and the scarf under my hip band.

Darshiva

To get the right colour for the lions, you'll need to give it a base coat of matte black, then silver, then a light dusting of copper, then a light dusting of gold, then another light dusting of silver over the top, being careful not to overdo any of the dustings.

We made steampunk nerf guns for last year's halloween party, 's how I know. ;)