How to Make Bellydance Costumes - Website

Amulya

The page on Bases for Bras is up! It includes pictures and descriptions of different types of bra bases and their pros and cons.

Shushanna Designs: Bases for Bras

That's very useful info, it is often hard to find a proper bra. I live in Australia so we have different brands. We do have those really strong ones, but they have the wrong shape for me. I always end up with a different bra and reinforce it with buckram.
Btw beautiful bra designs!

ETA: you have so much patience! To do all that bead work. My costumes are often much more simple, just because I am lazy hehe.

Last edited:

PracticalDancer

Shushanna, I tried the thread casing technique for sleeves and it worked well! Thank you!

Now, if only I could figure out why my elastic has suddenly decided to curl in on itself . . . :(

kanariya

Shushanna this is fantastic! Most of the ladies I dance with make their own costumes and I'm always amazed by what they can do! I would love to be able to make my own costumes (especially being so short and virtually everything pre-made is too long) and after reading this I feel like I might be able to create something using your tutorial! Thank you so much for sharing! I hope I can find some time to practice soon!

Shushanna

Shushanna, I tried the thread casing technique for sleeves and it worked well! Thank you!

Now, if only I could figure out why my elastic has suddenly decided to curl in on itself . . . :(

I'm glad it helped you! You might want to use "Non-Roll" elastic. I think regular elastic will have a tendency to curl in.

Shanazel

Have I already said what a cool site this is?

Well, just in case I haven't:

THIS IS AN AMAZINGLY COOL SITE!!!!!

sabouschka2011

Thanks

Thank you for the information ....

I've been adding a wing to my website devoted to how to make bellydance costumes. It's a work in progress.

Shushanna Designs: How to Make Costumes

I'd love to hear your feedback, and any requests for additions you may have. New pages I have in the works include: Bra Cup Bases, How to Cover Bras, Ghawazee Coats, and Fringe.

thanks,
~Shushanna

Last edited by a moderator:

Shushanna

Latest update - I've added a page on how to design costumes. I discuss design concepts, such as the color, shape, texture, use of space, and cultural context of your costume designs. I'll also show examples of sketches I've made for my own designs, and ways to make your own sketches with or without a great deal of artistic talent.

Shushanna Designs: How to Design Costumes

Amulya

I really like that new page! Love the gold bra, can you post a picture of the whole costume, I am curious what the belt/skirt looks like.

Shushanna

I really like that new page! Love the gold bra, can you post a picture of the whole costume, I am curious what the belt/skirt looks like.

Actually, that's the one I'm working on right now. I'm just about done the beading on the belt, but have a whole lot of fringe to make. It will probably take me another week or so. Here's a picture from about a week back on my progress.

Inside that oval in the center are now two more jewel spirals coming off of each side towards the middle.

Darshiva

How do you find the patience? I'm way too keen to get dancing in my costumes ASAP to do any beading work.

Shushanna

How do you find the patience? I'm way too keen to get dancing in my costumes ASAP to do any beading work.

I guess I'm just really picky. If the costumes I really wanted already existed, I wouldn't have to make them.

You wouldn't believe how hard it was for me to find gold or silver bedlahs. I ended up giving up and making one of each. How silly is that! You'd think with how versitile and classic they are, silver and gold bedlahs would be covering the shelves. But instead the bedlahs people sell are usually in other colors, and the solid gold or silver ones are usually nothing but sequins on low-quality bases that they want $300 for.

This gold set cost less than that, and it's much nicer (if I do say so myself). Each stone costs around $3 on Artbeads.com (prices varry based on quantity), and there are about 38 of them, so that's $114. Plus the fabric and interfacing cost around $20, the beads and sequins around $30, and the thread around $30. So I'm guessing this cost about $200. The time was time I spent watching TV over a few months. I likes my Murder She Wrote on Netflix. ;)