Need help with sharp versus soft moves

MariaAZ

After reading the thread on technique versus "just getting up and dancing" I decided to flip on some belly dance music and "just get up and dance." The music I have available to me is probably more appropriate for tribal fusion, but we used to go dancing to top 40, trance and electronica so the music sounds familiar to my ear.

And that's where the difficulty is coming in. When we went dancing, I tended to pick out the dominant beat and move sharply to it. And that's what I'm doing now. Although I know that sharp hip bumps, head & arm movements have their place in belly dance, I want to do the soft, earthy moves.

I'm thinking that it might not be a bad idea for me to dance to music that doesn't have a drum beat, at least until I can tame the sharp move monster, but I'm not sure there's anything out there that would be suitable. I've tried ambient/new age type music but it's TOO soft, not really strong enough to make me want to get up and move. Any music suggestion (or dance suggestions!) would be greatly appreciated!

Amulya

Classic Egyptian is the best :) suits soft movements much better, go to Youtube and watch some old video clips from Egyptian movies and you can get some inspiration :)

Yame

Music without a drum beat? That's easy! Make a compillation of your favorite taqasim, and get crackin'.

MariaAZ

I checked out a few Egyptian style belly dance videos; that is the style I'm thinking of when I think of soft and earthy moves. However, I couldn't find anything without a drum beat.

Until I looked up taqasim :) THAT'S IT!!! That's EXACTLY what I was looking for. I love love love the drums, but until I learn to move in circles (not just side to side) and break myself of accentuating most of my moves sharply, I will definitely be dancing to taqasim.

Yame

Until I looked up taqasim :) THAT'S IT!!! That's EXACTLY what I was looking for. I love love love the drums, but until I learn to move in circles (not just side to side) and break myself of accentuating most of my moves sharply, I will definitely be dancing to taqasim.

Yay! I'm glad to hear this is what you were looking for.

If you are considering any DVDs that can help you with this, I would highly recommend Ranya Renee's Baladi DVD (which I have and can vouch for), and her new Taqasim DVD (which I don't have yet but have heard wonderful things about).

Otherwise, just practice, enjoy the music, and have fun!