Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Roll  Eyes When Is It a Gimmick?

There's a song from the musical "Gypsy" when the veteran burlesque dancers are giving tips to the young Gypsy Rose Lee -- "If ya gotta bump it, bump to a trumpet...if you're gonna grind it, grind it with refinement..."

I sometimes hear those lyrics in my head when I'm watching a dancer who is doing something, well, gimmicky, is the best way I can describe it -- she's sporting a flaming hula hoop or making her tattoos writhe or bouncing a balloon off her arse or some darn thing.

I quite understand that one person's "novelty act" is another person's "it's just another version of the dance." And sometimes a dancer can pull off something that another dancer totally botches.

But for me, the point when I find myself with a nervous inclination to giggle is when I feel something is getting lost in translation.

My question for youse guys -- has there been a point when you found yourself thinkin' the same thing?

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

I often want to laugh at certain costuming such as 'Tribal' outfits that look as though someone's just fallen in a rubbish tip or a combination of items that appear as though they're being worn for a bet. It reminds me of variety acts such as grown women dressed as Shirley Temple, complete with ankle socks and lollipop, which are obviously meant to be funny...

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think sometimes novelty acts are fun, if they're meant that way. If a person is taking them selves very seriously wearing a pumpkin on their head or something, it does make me cringe a bit, cause I feel sorry for em more than anything else.

I think it's nice to have a little novelty sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

And sometimes, I'll throw a little 'schtick' into an my act if I feel the moment is right...once you've proven yourself as a capable artist and/or entertainer, doing a little 'grandstanding' can be fun...if done with TASTE.
    What?
    Like...dropping to the floor to do floor work and having a shill in the audience come over and place coins on my belly that I roll. Makes the audience leap to their feet.
    Like...rolling belly beads up and down my torso while undulating...
    Like...these little gestures I make during drum solos (ever see Aziza look as though she's making her chest rise and fall because it's on a string? Like that.)
    Fun...tongue in cheek...but...like 'novelty' humor numbers...it ONLY works when you know how to work it.
    Gia

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gia al Qamar View Post
    And sometimes, I'll throw a little 'schtick' into an my act if I feel the moment is right...once you've proven yourself as a capable artist and/or entertainer, doing a little 'grandstanding' can be fun...if done with TASTE.
    What?
    Like...dropping to the floor to do floor work and having a shill in the audience come over and place coins on my belly that I roll. Makes the audience leap to their feet.
    Like...rolling belly beads up and down my torso while undulating...
    Like...these little gestures I make during drum solos (ever see Aziza look as though she's making her chest rise and fall because it's on a string? Like that.)
    Fun...tongue in cheek...but...like 'novelty' humor numbers...it ONLY works when you know how to work it.
    Gia
    I always considered that kind of floorwork with the coin on the tummy thing to be classic cabaret showmanship! Love it. I aspire to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

if it's good it makes me want to laugh (for joy) or just WoW, if it's bad it makes me want to cringe .... basic "not quite working" barometer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gia al Qamar View Post
    (ever see Aziza look as though she's making her chest rise and fall because it's on a string? Like that.)
    Gia
    oh yeah, and that's the kind of little movements that make me love her dance so much !

Post Thanks / Like

When the gimmick takes priority over his/her dancing it's a turn off for me. When it's a fab dancer that is using a gimmick as an extension of his/her dancing I can generally get into it. Though within the bounds of humor or props that are natural to the dance. No flipping hamburgers on the tummy or bouncing a ballon off the arse...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Salome View Post
    No flipping hamburgers on the tummy or bouncing a ballon off the arse...
    I guess the Burger King bedleh is out then eh?
    Gia

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno.. I think you could make that work if you used a fry-fringe

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast