Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I dunno.. I think you could make that work if you used a fry-fringe
    Niiiiiceee touch! Fries for fringe, they provide the cute little paper crown (very Egyptian), Whopper buns for the bra...what else?
    Gia

Post Thanks / Like

Happy meal toy earrings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Happy meal toy earrings.
    Sweeeeettt!
    G.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some people can sort of get away with it...

...if they're really famous. There's Dina and the infamous Droopy Drawers. Wearing whatever wild outfit for shock value, be it really tacky or really skimpy, is kind of disappointing to me. Sort of like when actors or pop stars pull some wild stunt or wear something totally ugly for attention. Nobody cares who won an Academy Award for what--they just want to see what they were wearing on the red carpet. Screw the halftime show at the Superbowl--I want to see nipple! (And you know this attitude is totally not limited to America...)

I think there's a fine line between gimmicky and entertaining--gimmicky is when it distracts you from the dancer's talent (or sometimes lack thereof). Entertaining is when you have developed a skill that's just cool to watch, or when she knows it's tacky and is doing it as a joke. Flaming hula hoop? It wouldn't even matter how accomplished she was as a dancer--I'd be waiting to see when her hair would catch fire!

Then there's the unfortunate "wardrobe malfunction", when it's truly an accident. A friend of mine "busted out" during a performance once when she first broke in to performing, and that's all the dancers around here could talk about for a couple weeks (people are losers!)--some even accusing her of doing it on purpose! And of course no one remembered her performance...it took her forever to live it down, too.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently saw a locally made performance DVD where the dancer was "dancing" (sort of just undulating in place) on top of stemmed water glasses with candles in her hands and a sword on her head and the sword was on fire. It was so unecessary and over the top I felt a little sick watching it. Handling one prop with skill is tasteful. Two is a little showy but sometimes forgiveable, but four! That's when it just becomes a circus act.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nani View Post
    Then there's the unfortunate "wardrobe malfunction", when it's truly an accident. A friend of mine "busted out" during a performance once when she first broke in to performing, and that's all the dancers around here could talk about for a couple weeks (people are losers!)--some even accusing her of doing it on purpose! And of course no one remembered her performance...it took her forever to live it down, too.
    My teacher recalls her own teacher back in the day whirling out on stage -- when she stopped, her skirt kept swirling and slipped right off her hips. She was wearing bright red panties and when she simply struck a pose and kept smiling, the audience applauded, thinking it was part of the act!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kharmine View Post
    My teacher recalls her own teacher back in the day whirling out on stage -- when she stopped, her skirt kept swirling and slipped right off her hips. She was wearing bright red panties and when she simply struck a pose and kept smiling, the audience applauded, thinking it was part of the act!

Wow! I'd never be able to live that down. Yay for your teacher!

Post Thanks / Like

Swinging a chair in your teeth has got to be my favorite gimmick, and it's authentic!

We had a thread on the MED dance list, (I think -- or maybe it was here!) about the circus-like environment of modern bellydance (flaming swords, writhing tats, etc.) People were slamming the fact that our dance had "deteriorated" to something of vaudeville.

I thought it was amusing when one of our grand-dames spoke out and said, "you know, in the culture, it was very much a circus-like act."

We tend to forget, in our modern era, that our dances have "colorful" ancestors, and were practiced by women who were ENTERTAINERS, doing what it took to put food on the table.

That said, dancers themselves are the hardest to impress with "gimmicks." I can stick a sword on my head and the public thinks "wow." I don't really have to do much more than walk around or do a hip circle and they're impressed. Dancers, however, are kind of like "um, yeah. And NOW what?"

I saw a lady last fall attempt to balance 8 swords on her head. Two is cool -- a lot of tribal gals balance two. After 4 swords, I was thinking "it would be great if you could actually DANCE or something, instead of just swaying back and forth." She got down on her knees for the 7th sword, and then dropped the 8th sword during the last bit of the music, and they all came crashing down. If she had stuck to just 2 swords, and actually DANCED, the piece might have been fun.

Double veil seems a lot like a gimmick to me too. Spin spin spin, separate the veils, flip them around, spin some more, spin spin spin the other way and exit the stage. Yawn.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    Double veil seems a lot like a gimmick to me too. Spin spin spin, separate the veils, flip them around, spin some more, spin spin spin the other way and exit the stage. Yawn.
    I certainly feel the same about that. Once you've seen it, you've seen it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kalila_raks View Post
    I recently saw a locally made performance DVD where the dancer was "dancing" (sort of just undulating in place) on top of stemmed water glasses with candles in her hands and a sword on her head and the sword was on fire. It was so unecessary and over the top I felt a little sick watching it. Handling one prop with skill is tasteful. Two is a little showy but sometimes forgiveable, but four! That's when it just becomes a circus act.
    Does that mean I can't do my flaming d*** dance of Dagistan? Just as well, I'd only be able to do it once.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast