Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mayte Garcia

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mayte Garcia

Mayte Garcia has teaching videos on exercise tv whcich is on Fios's or comcast's on demand. I havent tried her out yet but I was wondering if she is any good or not?

Post Thanks / Like

I really really didnt like her on-demand instructional/work out stuff for belly dance. I dont know for me , something about her and or technique was off, wrong, like she had alot of experience belly dancing, but not alot of experience belly dancing well.

Its hard for me to say that. I LOVE Mayte, but her on demand stuff made me sad. I dont like her dancing. I would'nt go as far as to compare her to Dolphina, but , i dunno she kinda reminded me of an exotic more skilled version.

Someone else may disagree-i just thought she'd be so much better. i may be being harsh cuz its her and i idolized her for so long. Her and Apollonia, and Vanity too,lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Talsin. Thats what I was wondering about her posture seemed way to me too and Im very much a begginer. What style does Mayte dance?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd never heard of Mayte Garcia before this post, so I looked her up. Wow, I never knew Prince had a wife who was a belly dancer!

It looks to me like she does American Cabaret.

Here's a clip of her dancing at 8 years old:

The zills, sword balancing, floorwork, and coin trick are all part of AmCab.

Here's a more recent clip (2008, apparently):

Again, typical American Cabaret. The costume still looks very vintage... the technique as well. Looks like great dancing to me, although the clip is too short to really judge.

Now, I don't know how she dances nowadays or how she teaches. But based on those videos of her, I'd have to say she is the first "famous" (in the mainstream) person that I could actually consider a belly dancer. It looks like it isn't just a gimmick that she uses to sex up her act, but is a profession for her and has been for a long time.

What did you guys see that made you think her technique was bad?
    Last edited by Yame; 05-25-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yame View Post
    Again, typical American Cabaret. The costume still looks very vintage... the technique as well. Looks like great dancing to me, although the clip is too short to really judge.
    Agreed. She's a second generation dancer in the US and learned from her mother, very Vintage style. The posture is different in Vintage American then in the modern styles and if you aren't familiar with it it can look off.

Very nice.

Here is the full set of videos Yame.

Last edited by Ariadne; 05-25-2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: adding videos

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    Agreed. She's a second generation dancer in the US and learned from her mother, very Vintage style. The posture is different in Vintage American then in the modern styles and if you aren't familiar with it it can look off.

Very nice.
    I liked that drum solo. So shimmylicious, you can see she has good musicality, good presence, a knack for live improvisation, and knows what she's doing. Plus, I love the black costume. The dancers in the reel before the drum solo starts aren't all her... there is one in a more amateur costume that doesn't dance as well. Maybe she's her student? Anyway all the clips I've seen of Mayte so far look pretty good.

I don't see bad technique and I don't see bad posture. I've seen some Vintage American dancers who use or used a deep knee bend and lean back slightly, but I've also seen plenty of Vintage American dancers who use a very slight knee bend (almost straight legs) and upright posture, and in these clips Mayte's posture looks much more like the latter than the former, so regarding the posture itself (not the dancing) I actually don't see the difference between hers and more modern belly dancers.

Now I'm really curious about what in her instructionals must have caused this response.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be curious to see her video because I remember her from Prince's music videos and then later from the first season of Dance Your @ss Off!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see bad technique and I don't see bad posture. I've seen some Vintage American dancers who use or used a deep knee bend and lean back slightly, but I've also seen plenty of Vintage American dancers who use a very slight knee bend (almost straight legs) and upright posture, and in these clips Mayte's posture looks much more like the latter than the former...
    Agreed. I have noticed though that even the latter group tend to have a tighter pelvic tuck then modern dancers who seem to favor a more, gooey, posture. Sometimes it's so "gooey" I worry about their lower backs.

Now I'm really curious about what in her instructionals must have caused this response.
    That makes two of us.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't very impressed with the promotional video for the instructional that was linked here a few posts above. I could see good movement and good posture in there, but what she was demonstrating was very much samey yet she was saying how new & innovative her style was. Honestly, unless I knew this teacher was quite highly above par for teaching skill, I'd avoid on that basis.

I haven't watched her performances, too busy catching up on my accounting (see facebook posts for a laugh!) but even so I would be reluctant to buy a teaching dvd from a dancer on the basis of how well s/he performs. I'd rather see a sample of teaching technique, and buy on the basis of teaching ability. After all, that is what I'm paying for!
    Bellydance tuition and performances in Nhill and the Wimmera. Online classes via skype. Email raqs.riverine@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

You can see clips of the instruction on the Exercise tv website:

ExerciseTV Store - Slim and Sexy Bellydance with Mayte - ExerciseTV Store

(just click on one of the video boxes to get the preview to load)

I haven't watched them yet, though I'd be surprised if she wasn't at least a decent instructor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast