Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mayte Garcia

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't a decent teacher. Most of the instructional DVDs I own (and that's well over 100 now and counting) have fabulous dancers who really don't know how to teach. That's fine for an experienced dancer who's used to following the bouncing butt in workshops, however I do prefer someone with decent skill in teaching when purchasing a DVD.

Good examples of excellent teachers who have instructionals out are: Ranya Renee, Keti Sharif, Jrisi Jusakos.

For a beginner instructional or style introductional, I would expect the instructor to be a much better teacher than dancer. This is the case (in my opinion) for the above dancers, exceptional performers though they all are, I find their skill in teaching to be far superior. This is also the exception rather than the rule.

Also, your link takes me to a pay per view, so I will continue to base my judgement on her teaching ability on her promo video. Please note that in my examples above, every one of those teachers was confident enough in their own teaching skill that their promo videos included examples of how they teach, and in every case, this is why I bought their dvds.
    Last edited by Darshiva; 05-27-2011 at 02:08 AM. Reason: typos

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    Also, your link takes me to a pay per view, so I will continue to base my judgement on her teaching ability on her promo video. Please note that in my examples above, every one of those teachers was confident enough in their own teaching skill that their promo videos included examples of how they teach, and in every case, this is why I bought their dvds.
    Um, the link I posted goes to the Exercise TV site where you can download the videos if you want to, however, if you click on any of the three that are offered, you get about a two minute clip of the actual instruction, not the YT trailer. I did mention that in my post, and it says it right on the website: "Click a thumbnail to preview a video."

Post Thanks / Like

D'oh! My script-blocker must have blocked everything except the 'pay now' bits!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    D'oh! My script-blocker must have blocked everything except the 'pay now' bits!
    Sorry if I came across as snippy, it was getting late and car trouble didn't help.

I had a chance to watch the preview clips, and Mayte's instruction is clear, but because it's geared to be a 15-min workout I feel she goes into the movements too quickly with too little explanation. I've gotten very used to detailed breakdown from the ladies of WDNY and Cheeky Girls, and of course the teacher I now take class with.
    Last edited by Sirčne; 05-27-2011 at 06:25 PM. Reason: I'm too wordy sometimes :P

Post Thanks / Like

So you are saying you've been spoiled?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, she looks great in these videos...but these videos arent like anything i remember seeing on the exercise channel, and my hopes were too high.

Her intructional tapes non related to fit-tv type stuff do sound intriguing though. still dont like what i saw on on demand. Maybe im prejudice against BD fitness type moves,lol. No slow sexy dancing like in these vids.Looking back i was really disappointed-but she wasn't performing, it was exercise, and i was probably disappointed even though i knew what i was clicking on. Maybe when im not so lazy i'll search for what i saw.

The one vid posted does looke interesting- the elements one. That is what i would have loved to see, but if its fit tv/exercise tv thats not what you get i guess.

Mayte is no doubt a talented woman, ive idolized her since i was younger. My parents were fans of hers as well so ive always known she was a dancer of exotic heritage and i looked up to her as a role model since i danced at such a young age and am exotical myself, plus i loved prince :0)
    Last edited by Taslin; 05-27-2011 at 07:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Taslin View Post
    That is what i would have loved to see, but if its fit tv/exercise tv thats not what you get i guess.
    Nope, it isn't. What you do get is "Shimmy". There is no comparison between the "bites" and a good teaching DVD. The question is whether or not her "Master Elements of Bellydance" DVD is good but I can't find any reviews on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Ohhh, Princes' ex-wife & Tommy Lee's ex-girlfriend... I knew she was a dancer/singer but I didn't know she was a pro belly dancer. Interesting. Yeah, she's part Egyptian (or so I read on Wiki).

She looks so intense & confident in the video of her when she was little! She looked so cute.
    Last edited by Belly Love; 05-28-2011 at 07:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses everyone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    So you are saying you've been spoiled?
    Spoiled rotten.

I like the Shimmy TV show - the cinematography is beautiful and I enjoy the dancers, but as far as instruction goes, it... well, it sucks for beginners. It's great if you already have a belly dance background and just want a workout, but if you're new a lot of important information is glossed over or omitted, and you can pick up bad habits trying to follow along.

By comparison, the WDNY and Cheeky Girls dvds are exceptional at breaking down movements and stressing the finer details.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast