Hello Chi-Waukee area

AliBaba

Hi everyone -

Newbie here from a small northern Illinois suburb. I am new to belly dancing and hoping for guidance on where to find some classes near me. Chicago is about 45 minutes south and Milwaukee 45 minutes north of where I live. I would be more comfortable driving to Milwaukee if I had to travel that far.

I have rented dvds and watched tv programming - but I need the face to face instruction. I just want to have some fun with this dance.

Thanks for your time!

AliBaba

Mosaic

Super Moderator
to the forum. Hopefully a member will know the areas you mentioned and will be able to help you. Class instruction is of great benefit on this dance journey and a lot of fun being with others who love the dance as well. Hope you find a class.
~Mosaic

AliBaba

Thanks for the recommendation I will look her up! Kenosha is 24 miles so it is definite possibility.

It seems like Tribal is the most common style around this area. Is that a good place to start?

Greek Bonfire

Thanks for the recommendation I will look her up! Kenosha is 24 miles so it is definite possibility.

It seems like Tribal is the most common style around this area. Is that a good place to start?

Personally, I would start out with Egyptian which is what Zafirah mostly teaches. Also, there is another teacher named Gina Nilaja who teaches in Antioch but I don't have the address or the website information.

AliBaba

Thanks - you gave me enough information to find her number! Waiting for a call back :)

Egyptian is what I am hoping to take.

Belly Love

Wow, lots of people from the Chicago area here...

I am as well and I also know Milwaukee pretty well too.

Tribal is more of a spinoff of Middle Eastern belly dance. Egyptian is more traditional, classic, closer to the roots.

I suggest Egyptian as well and then taking Tribal to see which one suits you better. The music, moves & styling is typically very different.

AliBaba

Wow, lots of people from the Chicago area here...

Tribal is more of a spinoff of Middle Eastern belly dance. Egyptian is more traditional, classic, closer to the roots.

Very nicely stated. I have been asking myself how far am I willing to drive for traditional versus Tribal. I would much prefer an actual dance studio to a YMCA or gym. Where did ladies learn to belly dance?

Belly Love

Very nicely stated. I have been asking myself how far am I willing to drive for traditional versus Tribal. I would much prefer an actual dance studio to a YMCA or gym. Where did ladies learn to belly dance?

I'm learning so far by watching others online and a bit by instructionals online. It's a bit difficult, but it's doable ;) I think taking classes and workshops would be the most ideal way to learn and probably how most dancers do it.

In my opinion, you would be best off by making the effort to learn Egyptian first. Middle Eastern styles are the base from which ATS (American Tribal Style- which is what I'm pretty sure you're referring to) grew from. Once you get the hang of the basics and stylings, you can always check out Tribal vids online and see if that's more your style and go from there :)

Greek Bonfire

What Belly Love said. Also, you could take a session or two of Egyptian, then try tribal. But I would suggest you get comfortable with Egytian first so you don't get confused when taking another style, which is easy to do when you are first starting. Good luck and have fun!