Free Online Instruction Videos?

Radyance

I have been dancing for a few years but only weekly with my instructor and I find it hard to practice at home without direction. I am wondering if anyone knows of any youtube (or other) videos more than 10 minutes long that have good exercises/moves to practice at home...More than just the basics but not too advanced...any suggestions? Thank you!!

Shakti

You should give Gypsynet a try, it is not free but if you want to learn online it is sublime! I do recommend a teacher for beginners. You tube has a search option for long videos more than 20 minutes. I do not know how much of a bellydance selection there is.

Radyance

Thank you for your suggestions but I am definitely looking for anything that is free. I was hoping someone had a few intructional youtube favorites or something :) Gypsynet looks awesome though!

mahsati_janan

I have been dancing for a few years but only weekly with my instructor and I find it hard to practice at home without direction. I am wondering if anyone knows of any youtube (or other) videos more than 10 minutes long that have good exercises/moves to practice at home...More than just the basics but not too advanced...any suggestions? Thank you!!

Maybe you can talk to your instructor about arranging a few private classes and videoing them for your home use. That would make sure that what you are practicing at home is the same as what you want to use in class.

In general, good instruction costs money. While there are some great instructionals up online for free, it can be hard for dancers to weed out all of the absolutely awful and mediocre ones. Your teacher may also be able to give you a list of dancers to look for who are similar in style or have a list of dvds she recommends for practice. Good luck!

astro_girl

I can't recall how I found out about her, but Bellydance with Mahin (she has a website and a blog where you can sign up to receive e-mails several times a week containing youtube videos of mainly technique, etc.) is one I'm enjoying now. However, the videos are not more than 10 minutes - more like 2-3 mins. each. They're searchable on Youtube, too. Many times I have some extra energy, and do 3 or 4 at a time. Overall, I think her technique is good and she works on the basics. Sometimes I need a reminder of some good combos. I haven't used in a while...I like her short vids. for choreography ideas/reminders. Perhaps not exactly what you're looking for, but it sounded similar!

Yame

Hehe...yes, this is true! :) Without proper feedback, the best instructional video's useless, I suppose.

It's not about the feedback... it's about quality of instruction. Few of the free videos out there feature quality instruction. There are some rare gems out there, of course, but generally speaking that's how it is.

The best instructional videos, OTOH, are definitely not useless! But "the best" usually comes at a cost.

onela

Go to the library and get some belly dance dvd's. The library is free (or low budget- when I lived in the UK it cost money to take out dvd's and cd's but it was cheap). I haven't found many online options that are free and good, except for Mahin's belly dance quickies (mentioned earlier in the thread).

Yame

Go to the library and get some belly dance dvd's. The library is free (or low budget- when I lived in the UK it cost money to take out dvd's and cd's but it was cheap). I haven't found many online options that are free and good, except for Mahin's belly dance quickies (mentioned earlier in the thread).

There are a few other free youtube instructionals aside from Mahin's that are pretty decent, actually. But they are usually little tidbits aimed at beginners, to get your feet wet. This is how I started belly dancing and I learned a lot of basic moves that way.

However, I quickly outgrew them and realized that if I wanted to learn new information and get better at dancing, I'd have to invest some money into better materials and, eventually, a proper education once I could find a teacher.

It's the "at least 10 minutes long" requirement that's the problem, really. You're not going to find free instruction that's over 10 minutes per video unless you find segments of a DVD that was illegally uploaded to youtube. Very few professionals who are worth their salt are going to spend time, effort, and money on a project just to make it available to the masses free of charge, unless it's meant as a promotional thing (in which case it's usually short). It sounds like a noble cause and all, but professional belly dancers need to make their living somehow.

onela

There are a few other free youtube instructionals aside from Mahin's that are pretty decent, actually....

Yes, true facts, actually :)

It's the "at least 10 minutes long" requirement that's the problem, really. You're not going to find free instruction that's over 10 minutes per video unless you find segments of a DVD that was illegally uploaded to youtube...

You can probably find a bunch of short videos that are quite appropriate and make them into a playlist to put together your own custom video from lots of short videos from YouTube. I am too lazy to do this but I think it would be awesome if the OP did it :)

Darshiva

Tiazza, I wish you great success with your venture. However, the fact that you're in your underwear on your banner makes me not personally want to take you up on your offer, as much as I would love some further education.

Last edited:

tiazza

:) that is not my underwear!
I am a personal trainer and my blog focuses on fitness and belly dance instruction as well. The photo is a fitness photo shoot wearing a bikini! Fitness trainers take bikini shots all the time. That is all:)

have a great day. Tiazza

gisela

Super Moderator
I realized after looking around on your site that it had to do with fitness. However, it is not clear at all at first and it is a pretty unfortunate placement right next to the big header that says BELLYDANCE.
Otherwise it looks like a nice blog and some nice instruction.

Darshiva

I'm very sorry Tiazza - I don't come from a fitness background at all, but I have seen a lot of "bellydance instructors" who sell their service based on sex, so I apologise for making the same assumption with you.