Thread for Arm Ornaments (or other ornaments)

Amulya

I like to start a thread for arm ornament ideas, and other costume ornaments, like things that go over the belly, or foot ornaments etc. The last picture is a belly thingy, I really like that, but wouldn't it move weirdly while dancing?

Here are some pictures (feel free to post more):

Bast

Great thread idea, and it might help me with a problem.

I bought a second hand costume that I have fixed up, but it only came with one sleeve (i think the other one was lost at some point).

Would anyone have any suggestions for what to do on the other arm?

I could upload a pic later if that helps.

I did think about buying one of those armbands with a bit of chiffon sewn on but it is really hard to match this colour. It is a kind of teal/turquoise/aqua colour.

PracticalDancer

Amulya, I think of bands like that which cross the midriff as "posture correctors", because if the wearer slouches in the slightest, the band will gap and look bad. It makes the wearer think, "MUST-STAY-LIFTED!"

Great thread idea, and it might help me with a problem.

I bought a second hand costume that I have fixed up, but it only came with one sleeve (i think the other one was lost at some point).

Would anyone have any suggestions for what to do on the other arm?

I could upload a pic later if that helps.

I did think about buying one of those armbands with a bit of chiffon sewn on but it is really hard to match this colour. It is a kind of teal/turquoise/aqua colour.

For a while, there was a whole slew of costumes out there with just one sleeve. The asymmetrical look was very popular. The other arm would be bare, or just have a wrist or arm band, or whatever the designer could come up with. In your case, I would recommend a stunning bracelet or ring (or both) as they may be easier to match to the costume than fabric!

And, how timely this thread is, for I spent last night repairing beaded sleeves I got on a SUPER discount (sold "as-is" for $8US a pair). They are crochet styled, with beading all over. But, when made, they used a simple little rubber band (like the ones in your office desk drawer!) to hold it up. In the heat of shipping, the bands got hard and cracked. I had to pull all of that out and put in real elastic . . . using a thread casing stitch for the first time! :D

Will post pictures later today if I can!

Regards,

Anala

Daimona

A friend of mine is in the process of making me som really cool arm ornaments that will be usable for several of my costumes. Must remember to post some pictures when she has finished them hopefully later this summer..

Bast: What kind of sleeve is it?

Yame

Amulya, I think of bands like that which cross the midriff as "posture correctors", because if the wearer slouches in the slightest, the band will gap and look bad. It makes the wearer think, "MUST-STAY-LIFTED!"

Yes!!!

I have a costume like that, and that's how I feel when I have it on... :lol:

Amulya, it moves a lot when I move, but it's also heavier than the one pictured since I had to reinforce it/line it because the vendor shipped the costume with no lining! :naghty:
In any case, maybe you would think it moves weird, but I actually think it's a nice effect.

Last edited:

PracticalDancer

I think it complements the belly moves nicely!

(PS: I think this is the first clip I have seen of you, and what I could see was lovely; but, your camera person needs to stand still and not pan in and out so much! I hope this person is open to feedback! And, I can say this as someone who learned the HARD way how to film a dancer.)

Yame

(PS: I think this is the first clip I have seen of you, and what I could see was lovely; but, your camera person needs to stand still and not pan in and out so much! I hope this person is open to feedback! And, I can say this as someone who learned the HARD way how to film a dancer.)

Tell me about it... the first time I saw the video I watched in horror as the camera wouldn't stop shaking and gave me a headache. How could someone move so much? I'm pretty sure I could have recorded a better video while DANCING that drum solo :lol:

This isn't my regular "camera person." It was just my uncle recording that night, for the first and last time.

PracticalDancer

It was sweet of your Uncle to film you, and I hope I did not offend! Filming dancers, like filming sports, is an ART. No one knows how hard it is until you try and do it yourself -- kind of like moves in our dance, eh? ;)

gisela

Super Moderator
Wow I didn't even notice the camera shaking :lol: I was completely drawn in by your performance Yame! Very nice!

Yame

Thank you guys for the compliments!

Now, so as not to threadjack, here's a picture of another belly accessory I really like... more subtle, almost like jewelry:

(Fatima Habib is the designer and model in this pic)

Greek Bonfire

I have a costume with the belly ornament and maybe it's just me because I was so aware of it that it interfered with my concentration. I've seen other dancers wear them, however, and like Yame, it looks great. And the one on Fatima is gorgeous, something like this is less distracting to me.

Thanks, Amulya, for starting this thread. The search for accessories is something I am always in pursuit of.

gisela

Super Moderator
In september at the Cifuentes festival in Berlin I saw several dancers wear rhinestone chain around their arms. Like the bella style strappy arm thing, only just rhinestones. Pretty!

Aniseteph

I enjoyed your clip Yame! :clap:

I love the first ornament Amulya posted - the armband/cuff one with attached strands of beads. Not so sure about the spiral/lacing ones - how do they stay up?

Amulya

Thank you guys for the compliments!

Now, so as not to threadjack, here's a picture of another belly accessory I really like... more subtle, almost like jewelry:

(Fatima Habib is the designer and model in this pic)

Beautiful! I am thinking of a belly thing like that for a costume, not sure for which one yet though.

I enjoyed your clip Yame! :clap:

I love the first ornament Amulya posted - the armband/cuff one with attached strands of beads. Not so sure about the spiral/lacing ones - how do they stay up?

I wondered the same, I noticed that the part at the wrist has a normal wrist band but the top bit doesn't seem to have it.

Bast

A friend of mine is in the process of making me som really cool arm ornaments that will be usable for several of my costumes. Must remember to post some pictures when she has finished them hopefully later this summer..

Bast: What kind of sleeve is it?

here is a pic :)

I was thinking perhaps getting a thick gold ribbon (maybe velvet) and using the same beads and sequins on it. I have plenty of left overs from fixing up the costume.

Daimona

here is a pic :)

I was thinking perhaps getting a thick gold ribbon (maybe velvet) and using the same beads and sequins on it. I have plenty of left overs from fixing up the costume.

Ah, yes.
Getting a thick gold ribbon, gold bracelets, etc will be fine (anything gold will work). You could also match the greenblueish paliettes (doesn't have to be an exact match, just close enough) if you don't want to be all golden.
Or if you want to have to similar arm decorations, you can always split the existing sleeve into two (cut it in the middle, adjust width and redecorate).
Buying one of those chiffony arms is ok if you also have other details matching them (such as underskirt or details on the skirt), veil etc.

I love the arm decorations made by Elen Oriental, such as the ones on the fire costume.

Last edited:

seona

If I ever watch a dancer with bare, long and graceful arms I usually think that their arms look kind of lonely! I love seeing decoration on arms. For me an accsesory just finishes the look on bare arms. Years ago I used to have a silver upper arm cuff/arm bracelett, I wish I still had it, I love that look on a dancer.
Daimona, indeed Elens costumes are just fantastic, I love the arm decoration on the fire costume, infact I LOVE that fire costume, sigh!

Daimona

I love the arm decorations made by Elen Oriental, such as the ones on the fire costume.
That was one of the pics I posted in the first posts, I like that idea of those beaded strings, but I wonder if they don't break easily or get tangled with other costume bits.

How do the fire decorations stay?

Yes, I recognized the first picture of Elen. The other drapes she has for the same costume is also beautiful.

I think the fire decorations is held in place by invisible plastic straps (or did you mean how those straps are held in place?).