Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yame View Post
    Will she only hire you if you're bellyfit certified? Wouldn't it be more cost-effective to start teaching without this certification?
    What Yame said.

Post Thanks / Like

My concerns with proceeding without the certification is that this province is awfully small and I don't want to stir up any drama by not going through the motions, don't want to step on toes. I don't mind investing money in professional development/training if I don't have to travel for it. A good friend who's recently started working as a personal trainer (and training to be a lady UFC fighter!) feels strongly that fitness instructors should have *some* training as opposed to none, and I value her opinion on the subject. I'm also not experienced in teaching dance/fitness and would feel more comfortable progressing with training than without.

Post Thanks / Like

Upon further research- looks like DND wants any fitness instructors to have certifications in whatever it is they're doing (the skating club is affiliated with the base).

Post Thanks / Like

I guess as long as your instructor has OTHER certification (IDEA, NETA for example in the US) why not get 'certified' to teach their program...but if her training is lacking, she'll simply be passing on a lack of education to those who are, essentially, paying to teach...

Post Thanks / Like

If YOU think it is worth it, why not?

I haven't heard of any of the above mentioned certifications, but I do know that even a less good certification/teacher training will help you develop as a teacher compared to no teacher traning. And of course you can always add other and perhaps more well known certifications as you advance if you want to or your potential future employers requires it.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daimona View Post
    If YOU think it is worth it, why not?

I haven't heard of any of the above mentioned certifications, but I do know that even a less good certification/teacher training will help you develop as a teacher compared to no teacher traning. And of course you can always add other and perhaps more well known certifications as you advance if you want to or your potential future employers requires it.
    Thanks Daimona! I don't mind spending money on workshops and training, I love going "on course". I was hoping to get a more general "this is what I think of bellyfit" conversation going but I guess it's just not common in the USA (where most posters on the forum here are based) or East of Ontario, so we haven't been able to discuss it that way. For me in this equation, money is only a factor if I have to travel for retreats in Nepal or something cost-prohibitive like that to maintain a certification. Like you say, any teacher training is helpful in developing that kind of skill set, and that's as much what I'm hoping to get out of it as anything else if I decide to chase it up. I really enjoy fitness and would like to develop some fitness instructor skills as my day job is in a field of work where the jobs are hard to come by- if we move for my husband to take work, I'd like to be versatile enough to be able to have a backup plan in case I can't find a regular 9-5 day job. I see Bellyfit as a way to dabble in fitness instruction (which I always see TONS of job postings for- and I gotta say, it makes me mental that on the Canadian federal government jobbank, they always post fitness and arts & heritage jobs in the same section...).

Post Thanks / Like

I'm somewhat familiar with this type of stuff. I worked out of a gym for years and have taken a lot of weekend certification classes like this before.

The main purpose of certifications like these are branding and licensing a product. It's kind of like McDonalds of the fitness industry. You get the same thing everywhere you go and it's the consistency and name recognition that counts. With your certification you get to use their brand name and use their products. Basically the class will have a section on how to teach their classes, their goal, and their licensing agreement. It's been my experience with these certifications that you don't really learn a whole lot other than what pertains directly to them and their product. They spit out these products and expect, and sometimes require, the instructors to buy them and use them in their classes.

If you are currently working at a gym or want to work at one, these classes are somewhat valuable. The fulfill your CECs (continuing education credits) toward keeping your job training skills up to date. Most gyms require a specified amount of these training credits for instructors per year. One down side is that many other instructors in your area will most likely be taking the same class and begin teaching as well. The market will be quickly flooded if you live in an area with a small population. There is not much benefit for people with no desire to work out of a gym or gym style studio.

It's a fitness industry thing and it won't improve your real dancing at all. Classes like this used to just irritate me. I was required to do the silly things even if I never found the information useful for a dance class. You'd be much better off spending your money on a kinetic anatomy class or a personal trainer certification like NETA.

YMMV of course!
    Last edited by Jane; 06-01-2011 at 10:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, hell, Jane! I can't give you rep for that. How about public applause instead?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Oh, hell, Jane! I can't give you rep for that. How about public applause instead?

I repped her for it

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ladies!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast