Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't officially recommend this program, since I haven't done her teacher training, but I've done the workouts and I enjoy them a lot.

SharQui The Bellydance Workout

Oreet is a BEAUTIFUL dancer -- she's a belly dancer truly But she's also a fitness professional. She put her knowledge of both together into this program.

I would think a "belly for fitness" type of certification should come from somebody like Oreet -- who is both a dancer and a trainer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Letizia View Post
    You did say that your teacher was interested in the Belly Fit and for you to teach it, or did I get that wrong?
    Nope, you've got the wrong end of the stick- my belly dance teacher is certified Bellyfit instructor (and fitness instructor).

Post Thanks / Like

The program that I am aware of may be different then. Most important thing is to do what is right for you! If your teacher is happy with the program, then as a professional, she would be able to determine its credibility.

Go For IT!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    I can't officially recommend this program, since I haven't done her teacher training, but I've done the workouts and I enjoy them a lot.

SharQui The Bellydance Workout

Oreet is a BEAUTIFUL dancer -- she's a belly dancer truly But she's also a fitness professional. She put her knowledge of both together into this program.

I would think a "belly for fitness" type of certification should come from somebody like Oreet -- who is both a dancer and a trainer.
    Aziyade, I missed your post when you posted it- I've looked at Oreet's stuff, looks totally awesome, but unfortunately, I can't imagine she has any plans to travel to Atlantic Canada to teach her certification and I can't travel to USA-land for it. FWIW I figure you're probably totally right though, Oreet is the BOMB I'm still familiarizing myself with the work of the Bellyfit fitness system creator but to my understanding, she's also a dancer and a fitness professional.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onela View Post
    Aziyade, I missed your post when you posted it- I've looked at Oreet's stuff, looks totally awesome, but unfortunately, I can't imagine she has any plans to travel to Atlantic Canada to teach her certification and I can't travel to USA-land for it. FWIW I figure you're probably totally right though, Oreet is the BOMB I'm still familiarizing myself with the work of the Bellyfit fitness system creator but to my understanding, she's also a dancer and a fitness professional.
    First, thank you everyone for your kind words!! It means a lot to me. I would love to come to Canada if someone is interested in hosting me. That's all it takes. Anyone interested in getting certified in SharQui and it having a presence in Canada? Feel free to email me at oreet@sharqui.com.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onela View Post
    So, what do you guys think about Bellyfit in general? If you're familiar with Bellyfit or an instructor, did you like the certification course? I'm looking for any and all discussion about bellyfit, if you're a student or a instructor, what do you like, what do you not like, what's the deal with Bellyfit?
    Hello,
    It might be too late to respond...but it's never too late to give information. I am a Bellyfit instructor, I got my certification over a year ago in Moncton, NB. I LOVE BELLYFIT. It's an amazing workout that include so much, cardio (like dance moves + steps), core (pilates, yoga) and lots of stretches at the end (unlike Zumba) and the magic ingredient, breathing exercises. By the way, it was born and raise in Canada. It's slowly starting to expand outside of Canada.

Bellyfit is definitely a great asset to have if you like to have a holistic approach in what you teach. It is very flexible in so many ways and the class can vary depending on the instructors strengths. My classes are getting so full since I am the only instructor in my area. And I am adding 2 more classes per week. People love it because of it's holistic approach.

The Bellyfit family support their instructors a lot by providing them with music, choreography, marketing material, etc.

I have to say that I also got my Zumba instructor's certification and thought it was nothing compared to the comprehensive and robust certification (and supervision) that we got from Bellyfit. The training classes were way smaller with Bellyfit which insured a quality time with the trainor. I never taught Zumba since I did not feel connected to it...I had my monthly membership for 6 mths as an instructor with them and I can tell you that at a lower monthly fees with Bellyfit I got way more out of it.

Finally, Bellyfit is not a Belly Dancing fitness class. Bellyfit can have some Belly Dancing moves but not necessarily (only if the instructor wish to include it).

Oh...and you know what it burns a lot of calories!!! We did the test in a few of my class and we never burned lower than 700 calories per hour...according to our monitor.

Hope this help. Feel free to msg me if you want more info on Bellyfit!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Isi View Post
    Finally, Bellyfit is not a Belly Dancing fitness class. Bellyfit can have some Belly Dancing moves but not necessarily (only if the instructor wish to include it).
    I'm confused - I thought it was based on belly dance? Why is it called Belly Fit if it's not based on belly dancing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shiradotnet View Post
    I'm confused - I thought it was based on belly dance? Why is it called Belly Fit if it's not based on belly dancing?
    I understand...I had the same understanding when I went for training. I was actually positively surprised when I came out of the training!

I guess when we, as Belly Dancing passionate, see Belly in something, we think it's related to Belly Dancing...but for Bellyfit, I believe that Belly is literal...and it's for the core exercise you get out of it. When I took the training, they told us that we had to remind the participants to always engage their core...So I think that's why it's called Bellyfit.

And after doing Bellyfit for over a year I can definitely tell you that Bellyfit is the perfect name for the workout!!!

Here how they define Bellyfit on the website: Bellyfit® is a fun and fresh, combination of moves inspired by Bellydance, African dance and Bollywood plus an intelligent infusion of yoga, pilates and meditation.

Hope that leave you less confuse

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Isi View Post
    Hello,
    It might be too late to respond...but it's never too late to give information....

Hope this help. Feel free to msg me if you want more info on Bellyfit!
    Hi Isi! You're right, it's never too late, and I'm still considering certifying. Reading up on Bellyfit and researching the fitness industry generally got me on a path of persuing a Group Fitness Leader certification, so that's why I've been rather absent from the forums lately, been busy studying and trying different kinds of fitness classes etc. I love dance, but don't think it's realistic for me to have a "performance career", so when I realized I was good at counting backwards from 8, I thought that fitness would be a good path for me. I think teaching fitness will help me to satisfy my extroverted "look at me!" tendencies

Last August when the course was scheduled for my city wasn't a good time for me to do a course (I had just taken on a cool opportunity to do some work for an air show!), but nwo that things have calmed down and I've done all my Nova Scotia Fitness Association courses, I'm now planning to certify in February (when the course comes back 'round to Moncton, as it so happens!).

Thanks for the offer to message you for more info about Bellyfit, I make take you up on that in the new year when I'm starting to get geared up for it I agree that the name Bellyfit is perfect for this workout system, most of the instructors whose classes I've attended have been belly dance background and skew their class in that stylistic direction

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cheart View Post
    Zumba was popular here in my area at the gyms but it seems to have lost it interest now. I only know one gym of 3 that still has zumba classes.
    That's interesting. Zumba is still hugely popular here in Australia - I know several belly dance teachers who've trained as Zumba teachers in self-defence, just to avoid losing students.

I'll be very glad if it does go out of fashion! It's relatively high impact with lots of pivoting and violent hip actions, and physios are already reporting a fairly high level of injuries to knees and backs, especially amongst older women.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234