Hello

Hi,
Just thought I'd say 'hi'. I'm basically an over-educated House Frau trying to make sense of this whole toddler land that I live in. Of course, my little escape is belly dance:D

I remember our neighbors in the 1970's when I was about 5 had over a group of belly dancers and my love affair started there. I didn't realize that it was something I could do until just a few years ago- and that really started a journey. I have been taking classes on and off for the past few years and I have one heck of a DVD collection- in just the last few months I have started dancing on a regular basis again since my kids are a bit older (1 & 3).

For my motivation to become a fit person after pregnancy, I have signed up for
Bahaia's Belly Dance Camp in TX this October... hopefully I will be able to keep up and not make a complete fool of myself :D

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Welcome to the forum!!

You'll love camp -- do NOT worry about keeping up. There are brand new students as well as professionals there, and the environment is EXTREMELY warm and inviting. You'll love it and you'll learn a ton. Be sure and do all the silly and fun "camp" activities with everybody -- you learn a lot just listening to the instructors when they're not "on stage" as teachers :)

:) Amanda

Amanda (was Aziyade)

We wait until we're in TX, then rent a car to the camp (it's a decent distance from S.A.) And then we go to the party supply store to buy a cooler and goofy decorations.

The locals take the "decorate your bunk" contest VERY seriously. :) It's pretty amazing to look at.

Also, there is a cool "paint your t-shirt" contest, and Azraa and I were planning on bringing our own bling this year. They give you paint and sequins and jewels, but sometimes it's just not enough. LOL.

The swimming hole is a lake. With fish. I opted out of swimming. :) Most campers just kind of run around in their dance clothes during the day. I packed all these extra clothes and never even wore them. Flashlights you wear around your neck are a great idea. It gets pretty cool at night, so be sure to bring a sweater or snuggie or something for the campfire.

Thanks yet again- I am going to the camp solo- A friend of mine is going to Austin and will be renting a car to take me to the camp- Glad to know about the swimming hole- yep, I'm out I'm more of a concrete hole in the ground than nature. I think the nature bit is a little worrisome- I'm a hotel without room service constitutes as camping kind of girl so this should be interesting. I'm hoping it won't be a problem to be without a car. I will definitely stop before hand to stock up!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
to the forum. The camp sounds like fun. But I can empathise about camping and 'non-commercial' swimming holes:lol: My idea of camping is a 5 star hotel with a bar:lol:
~Mosaic

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Thanks yet again- I am going to the camp solo- A friend of mine is going to Austin and will be renting a car to take me to the camp- Glad to know about the swimming hole- yep, I'm out I'm more of a concrete hole in the ground than nature. I think the nature bit is a little worrisome- I'm a hotel without room service constitutes as camping kind of girl so this should be interesting. I'm hoping it won't be a problem to be without a car. I will definitely stop before hand to stock up!

Me too, but apart from the somewhat rustic look to everything, it's really quite modern. 99% of the time you're indoors anyway, and the cabins have electricity. Most of the locals bring electric fans and heaters. I was quite warm and toasty in my bunk last year :) Don't worry about nature. It tends to avoid belly dancers, as we tend to want to "bling" it up! lol.

Aniseteph

Welcome to the forum BellydancerofWillendorf (cool name!), and that camp sounds like fun!

(yeah, non-commercial swimming holes, sharing the hmmm... some fish are BIG. Ewww! I did jump in a lake nekkid in Siberia once, but vodka had been consumed by all. Lots of vodka :rolleyes:).

Batya

Hello all

Hi,

I'm new to Belly Dance Forum! Glad I joined. To the woman who identified herself as an 'over educated' house frau- you're going to love the dance world. Introduce the music to your toddler, do it together. Imagine learning to dance as a child? You'd never have that " make a fool of yourself" concern.
I'minterested in the current state of the dance as it reflects "feminism" - meaning, I wonder if BD is in anyway political at this juncture in its history. Also, I am a yoga practitioner and think the two movement forms are well suited to each other.

That dance camp sounds FUN!

lots love all.

batya