Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by khanjar View Post
    For sure what defines a beginner from an intermediate is where the student believes them self to be.
    Not so. A beginner often has no idea what they need to learn. The don't know what they don't know. Sure, something as obvious as movement that doesn't flow can be spotted - and most smart beginners can tell if they need to improve their physical skills. But a beginner often cannot tell that they have missed the music - that is they hear it wrong - and often do not know what belly dance is. Learning how to belly dance as opposed to learning how to move your body is a big part of passing out from beginner level.

Post Thanks / Like

Great answers here. I was about to ask how long it takes most people to reach intermediate until I saw how kashmir said a couple of years.

I would still classify myself as a beginner....perhaps a high beginner, but not quite intermediate.

I'm excited to be perform at a belly dance workshop in 2 weeks that encourages all levels.
    Last edited by Rp1983; 05-30-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Throwing my 2 cents' worth (while avoiding some of my serious workload

Interesting discussion!

I think in terms of the gap between my level and that of any of the favourite, famous professionals (or less famous but fabulous regional stars).

A bit of polish and I could be their equal? Advanced. Bridge the distance in less than a hundred years? Intermediate. Never bridge the distance? Beginner. I'll be a beginner to the end

I've been in classes labelled "advanced" for a few years but I know enough about dance to know that is just the teacher's labels. It just means "been doing it for more than a few terms." I am "advanced" in no way except perhaps a few small steps along the continuum of dance expertise compared to when I started.

I agree with statements such as Kashmir's that it would take at least 10 good years to be advanced, and with those who know that there is always more to learn. Dancing is wonderful and I recommend it for everyone But if comparative terms are used, I feel they should refer to the whole range of possibilities and be used realistically (i.e. truthfully).

Post Thanks / Like

What no one ever seems to mention is that one's relative level of expertise can go up or down. My level is nowhere near what it was in the 1980s because I don't train at the same intensity or have the same physical capacity that I enjoyed back then.

Advancing in dance is a lot like the scene in Alice in Wonderland where she and the Red Queen run very hard yet get nowhere:

"Well, in our country," said Alice, still panting a little, "you'd generally get to somewhere else — if you run very fast for a long time, as we've been doing."

"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234