Present for teacher?

I'm moving to a different city soon, so after 2 years I'll be finishing my classes with one dance teacher. I'd like to get her a small present as a thank you. What would be appropriate? Does anyone have a good present idea?

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Depends how close you are to your teacher. If it is just a relationship based on classes/haflas - flowers & a nice card are always appreciated. If you share a friendship outside of classes, then the gift would depend on how close you are and how much you wish to spend. Ideas could include a necklace/earrings/bracelet ( if you have a good idea of what she likes) or a Nikkij portrait - you can see the style in this thread with links - http://www.bellydanceforums.net/other-dance-stuff/15443-show-your-nikki-j.html
Go out for dinner with teacher and a couple of other students you are close too.
~Mosaic

Shanazel

Personally, I love flowers. My students gave me a gorgeous bouquet at the end of the year and I smiled every time I looked at it, thinking of my dear dancers.

I think the Nikki portrait is a brilliant idea, if it's not too dear.

Safran

Assortments of sweets (chocolate or Middle Eastern) is also a rather universal idea. And I LOVE the idea for going out for a meal together. Also, a little gift card to a pampering service (mani/pedi/spa/etc.) is usually very appropriate when speaking of dancers ;)

Bast

At the end of last year I bought my teacher one of those stretchy 4 row rhinestone bracelets and a super blingy ring. She loved it and it was very reasonably priced.

As for not to buy, I would stay away from trinkets/ornaments. Not everyone has the same taste in interior decoration, but most dancers seem to like shiny wearables.

Darshiva

I'd avoid giving anything food related or with a fragrance due to allergies. The bling idea is a good one. Even though I'm not a bling in jewellery girl outside of dance, I'd still adore a nice blingy gift.

The wine would be met with a really scary face (my 'oh sh*t, I hope there aren't sulphites on the outside of this bottle or I'm not going to be able to teach tonight' face), perfumes would be met with a polite smile and palmed off to my nieces (who live far enough away from me that their wearing it wouldn't set off any of my allergies), the chocolate would be devoured by my husband who would give me a guilty look when I asked him where my gift went, and the sweets would have me panicking as a I looked at the back to make sure it wasn't so laden with my allergies that I couldn't open it up & leave it in the break room for everyone to share.

Best to go with something unlikely to provoke an allergic response, I think!

RahimaMJR

I just gave my teacher a present as I'll be away for Christmas, and she liked it! I made a little origami book with a poem by Rumi. (Calligraphy is my other hobby). The poem was about dancing, and on each time the word said "dance," I made one of the letters into a bellydancer. It was fun for me to make, but a book of Rumi poetry I think would be nice also!

Last edited:

Safran

I just gave my present a teacher as I'll be away for Christmas, and she liked it! I made a little origami book with a poem by Rumi. (Calligraphy is my other hobby). The poem was about dancing, and on each time the word said "dance," I made one of the letters into a bellydancer. It was fun for me to make, but a book of Rumi poetry I think would be nice also!

This sounds like an adorable present!

present for teacher

Hi well I gave my teacher a little microwaveable hot pad pillow, great for sore muscles and also have knit colorful socks, great for pampering poor little danced-out feet -

I know this will sound lame, but I gave my teacher a flower one time, and a card another time. I will have to think of something for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Last edited:

Shanazel

Cards are nice. So are short personal notes. I have a few of the latter that I cherish for the sentiments written in them.

Lydia

i have many students and they always ,,shower me,, how lucky i am ...but i realy love it when they make something themselfs 1 student made for me a painting like 15 cm by 30 cm its a painting that shows a classroom with me teaching in it and students dancing its hanging on my private studio door.....i feel when people take the time to realy make something it become so special...i got many wraps for dancing aswell in class but a student knitted one herself and send it to me...and there is a other lady ( she is in this forum) she knitted also a shawl for me...those are so very special and for me more special then the ones that come from the store..the ones made by the lady,s .i am afraid to wear them and just wanna keep them forever and ever and ever....lol