All You Need To Know About Reputation Points

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Thanks to Moderator Daimona all you need to know about giving Reputation and any other questions one may have:D
~Mosaic

What is "User Reputation"?, but I'll quote it below as well:

Originally Posted by Anatoliy
Restrictions
1. A user must have 50 posts before her/his reputation hits count on others.
2. A user can give 10 reputation points over each 24 hour period.
3. A user must give reputation to 20 different users before she/he can hit the same person again.
4. A user must have a reputation of more than 10 for her/his reputation hits count on others.

And by the way, this isn't the first time the reputation system have been discussed: Spreading it about: I don't wanna!!

More abouth the reputation system:
What's Your Reputation?

More about the green little boxes:

Daimona

Thanks to Moderator Daimona all you need to know about giving Reputation and any other questions one may have:D
~Mosaic

Thank you, Mosaic. I'll just rephrase myself a bit to make it more suitable to be a general post:

There is a previous post (at least I couldn't find a more updated thread) about the user reputation system here:
http://www.bellydanceforums.net/chat-about-web-site/655-what-user-reputation.html. Questions about thre restrictions are quite frequently asked, so I'll quote it below as well:

Restrictions
3. A user must give reputation to 20 different users before she/he can hit the same person again.
4. A user must have a reputation of more than 10 for her/his reputation hits count on others.

Now, there is an ongoing discussion about the reputation system:
http://www.bellydanceforums.net/chat-about-web-site/15081-giving-reputation.html
but this isn't the first time the reputation system have been discussed: http://www.bellydanceforums.net/chat-about-web-site/5759-spreading-about-i-don-t-wanna.html

Last edited:

Salome

Administrator
Just to cross post here... the number has been lowered to 5. You have to rep 5 other people before you can rep the same person again.

Pirika Repun

It looks my reputation points are the same, but green square is less than before. How many reputation is one green square box?

Salome

Administrator
There were some members whose reputation had exceeded the set parameters and so the green box image was not showing up for them. I had the webmaster reset it so that while no one lost reputation, more points were alloted per square. But I could'nt tell you off hand what it is per square, I'd have to ask him or try to look it up...

Shanazel

Is there anyway the webmaster can make the information private? When people give me rep for something I've written, I value their opinions and it makes me happy to have said something reasonably intelligent or funny. But I hate, hate, hate having it advertised for everyone else to see.

Greek Bonfire

Strange. I'm not a computer expert though but while my reputation number stayed the same, I still lost those wonderful greenie followers that I was so fond of. But now we have the "Likes" and I am becoming quite fond of them too!

shiradotnet

Strange. I'm not a computer expert though but while my reputation number stayed the same, I still lost those wonderful greenie followers that I was so fond of. But now we have the "Likes" and I am becoming quite fond of them too!

I too like the "Likes".

I still like the "Rep" feature too.

I feel very agreeable today.

Darshiva

I like the likes because they let me say 'I read this & I enjoyed it' without having to actually come up with something to post, which suits my lazy nature! :D

jennymaria1

~Mosaic

What is "User Reputation"?, but I'll quote it below as well:

Originally Posted by Anatoliy
Restrictions

And by the way, this isn't the first time the reputation system have been discussed: Spreading it about: I don't wanna!!

More abouth the reputation system:
What's Your Reputation?

More about the green little boxes:

Mosaic i am getting so much information about the forums. But the the 3 point is little bit difficult could you please explain me point 3 in details. Thanks

Daimona

Mosaic i am getting so much information about the forums. But the the 3 point is little bit difficult could you please explain me point 3 in details. Thanks

Restrictions

#3 means that you can't hit the reputation button for the same person twice in a row, but have to give it to at least 19 others before hitting the same person again.
Now, 19 persons (as set as default in 2006) are quite a lot and this number have since been lowered to 5 (since June 2011), which means you must give reputations to at least 4 other users on this forum before you can go back and give the first one more reputation points.

Did this explanation make it clearer for you?

shiradotnet

Likes are ruining my chance of gaining rep. :( Its all about the likes now.

It's true, I too have noticed a decrease in the use of "rep" since the "like" feature came along. Although I suppose a person could argue that my recent postings haven't been as rep-worthy as ones I made in the past! :lol:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I still use rep about the same as a I always did, which wasn't that often, but do tend to use like a lot more. I have used both for the same post:D

But Luna you are right - it is a whole lot harder these days to gain a little green box. I have quite a lot of likes tucked under my belt now & was thinking a few days back that if they were all little green boxes, my reputation would have given me an awfully swelled head by now which may have caused a brain explosion and future posts would have been total gibberish and can you imagine how messy my keyboard would have been:shok::lol::lol:

Just as a bit of trivia about little boxes, years ago there was a song about houses being like little boxes on a hillside made of ticky tacky & for some reason I get this mental picture of little green boxes lined up along a hillside overlooking a step cliff and a snippet of the tune from the song sort of flutters in my addled brain. :lol:

Just found the lyrics - seems there are yellow, pink & blue ones as well;) Little boxes on the hillside, Little boxes made of ticky-tacky mp3 midi free download beach motel Sechelt bed breakfast
~Mosaic

Darshiva

I, too,have noticed a decrease in reps. I still give either or both when the situation requires it. But to be honest, I like the like system a lot more. It's both more transparent and more subtle. Transparent because you don't have to post announcing you repped someone if you want the world to know, but more subtle because you really have to go looking if you want to see how well-liked someone is. It's not there staring you in the face like the little green rep boxes.

I miss my reps as well, but I think that a goodly portion of them would have been likes if the system had allowed it, so I don't think of it as me getting less so much as people being able to tell me they liked something I said more. I certainly get a lot more likes than I ever got reps!