Has anyone else tried this. . .?

Sirène

I can't help much since I don't sweat very much if at all, but whenever I do, I just... let it be. I might take a shower since I can't stand being sweaty but my hair won't bother me so I still don't wash it until whenever is my next wash day. The sweat will just evaporate and I don't see any issues with my hair after that.

Have you ever tried just leaving it alone after working out? What happens to it? Does it look more oily, or does it look ugly? Does it smell?

If it's a matter of it looking oily, you can try spreading the oil with a boar bristle brush. If it's a matter of it looking ugly, you can wear it up until the next wash day. If it's a matter of it smelling, then... well... you should wash it... LOL

Thankfully, it doesn't appear to become stinky. Or at least, it offends no one except my grandmother who randomly sniffs my head because she's in the second-childhood-I-can-do-whatever-I-please stage. Anything less than Lysol fresh and she'll comment. Of course, she also considers it horrible that I do anything that makes me sweat. Ladies aren't supposed to play sports. :rolleyes:

My objection stems from how my hair looks. The top will appear shiny, and the rest of it will be its usual baby fine frizzy self. :wall: It's a weird combo. I should invest in a Mason Pearson but they're so expensive (@$140) I wince every time I approach the local hair salon that carries them.

The only thing that really helps with shedding is to cut the hair short, which I'm sure no one here is interested in. Mind you, short hair doesn't decrease the amount of shedding, it just looks like less since the hair is shorter.

LaVanessa

Have you ever tried just leaving it alone after working out? What happens to it? Does it look more oily, or does it look ugly? Does it smell?

I know I've left it alone plenty of times after a workout, it's fine once it dries out. It's not sweat that bothers me but rather when my hair gets excessively oily that I wash it. It can get a bit frizzy immediately after the workout but then it goes away.

The only smell I'm aware of is the 'scalp-smell'. No idea what pillow smell is??

LaVanessa

Agree with Yame and Daimona - it seems I shed more hair only because I wash it less often, and brushing your hair before washing is a very helpful trick!

Another thing I've been doing lately, and I'm kicking myself for not doing it ages ago - coating my hair with good quality coconut oil and letting it sit for a few minutes before I wash with my Lush bar - the effect is lovely! Have to be careful, though - too much coconut oil and it becomes a PITA to wash out, have to strike the right balance. A little bit of coco oil goes a long way, in my experience.

Shiro

I use a lip balm base in my hair, I add a bit more coconut oil and bees wax, some fragrance and depending on what I want it for, peppermint oil or tea tree oil. I put a very small amount on the tips of my hair, and brush some of it into my roots. My hair absorbs it really quick, too. I've found that it also keeps my hair from getting oily as fast as it normally does.

Lara

I only wash my hair once a week, and I use a locally made shampoo bar, which is much less harsh than the detergents sold in shampoo bottles. Don't need a conditioner, but I do a yogurt wrap about once a month which leaves it super shiny and seems to give it extra lift. I really liked using an herbally infused cider vinegar my friend used to make for me, but I am uncoordinated and decided getting it my eye was too much pain & hassle!

I use sweet almond oil for make up removal, and it doesn't have to be washed off afterward- it's closer to the skin's natural oils, so it absorbs really well. I do blot off excess if I get carried away! I've been experimenting with just vegetable glycerin for general cleansing, followed by witch hazel with the lowest alcohol content I can find, and it's been working really, really well (and is super cheap!)

On "spa day" (which my girls love!) I use a little kaolin clay, put green tea bags on my eyes after brewing a pot for us to drink, and have a nice soak with an epsom salt bath, then the girls & I put in curlers and do foot & hand massages with a mixture of almond oil, tea tree oil, wintergreen & a little sugar. g-mom watches movies with the girls while I'm in the bath. $50 of supplies lasts about 4 months for my personal use plus spa days for 4.

I do use an eye gel from Neils Yard Remedies, and one of their hand creams, just because the packaging is easier than almond oil to stick in my purse, and it IS really nice hand cream, lol!